Best-selling in UMDs
Save on UMDs
- £1.99Trending at £3.73
- £2.78Trending at £3.27
- £1.99Trending at £2.92
- £1.75Trending at £2.14
- £6.70Trending at £12.54
About this product
- DescriptionMAMMA MIA became a West End smash when it hit London back in late nineties. With a story framed around the music of the Swedish pop band Abba, crowds loved its raucous, dance party vibe. Now it comes to the silver screen, with some truly delightful performances from the likes of Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan. It is the story of Sophie (Amanda Seyfried), a young woman living on a picturesque Greek island with her mother, Donna (Streep). Together, Donna and Sophie run a ramshackle island inn, and they are in the midst of preparing for Sophie's wedding. As the wedding approaches, Sophie becomes troubled by the fact that she has never known her father. She was the result of one of her mother's summer flings, and her mother has never revealed her father's identity. When Sophie stumbles upon her mother's diary, she learns that there are three possible men who could be her dad. Without telling her mother, she invites all three to her wedding. When Harry (Colin Firth), Sam (Brosnan), and Bill (Stellan Skarsgard) all arrive at the same time, Donna is of course shocked and overwhelmed by seeing her old lovers again after such a long time. She turns to her two best friends, Tanya (Christine Baranaki) and Rosie (Julia Walters), for their support, and vows to just get through the wedding and weekend. Meanwhile, Sophie spends time with each man, determined to learn the truth.<BR>Major hi-jinks and confusion ensues, all amidst the utterly romantic scenery, and the rather irresistible, swelling love ballads. Streep has a lovely singing voice, and to watch her throw herself into this whimsical role is truly a delight. She looks like she is having a ball, and it is hard not to shimmy along with her. Baranski reliably delivers an over-the-top showstopper, and Brosnan's tender singing voice makes his character all the more touching. The film strives to be a jubilant celebration of mother/daughter relationships and the love between good friends, and it is hard to resist its many charms.
- Leading Role 1Julie Walters
- Director 1Phyllida Lloyd
- Leading Role 2Stellan Skarsgaard
- Leading Role 3Colin Firth
- Additional Roles byPierce Brosnan,Christine Baranski,Amanda Seyfried,Dominic Cooper
- ProducerGary Goetzman,Judy Craymer
- ScreenwriterCatherine Johnson
- Score ComposerBenny Andersson,Bjorn Ulvaeus
- Release FormatUMD
- Release Year2009
- GenreMusic/Performing Arts
- Additional GenreMusicals & Music Films
- Running Time109 minutes
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.