All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDiscussing each of the organ systems of the human body in turn, this microbiology textbook addresses the diseases caused by invading microbes within each of these systems. The conflict between host and parasite and prevention and treatment of infection are concentrated on.
- Author BiographyCedric Mims began as a zoologist, studying under GP Wells and JBS Haldane atUniversity College, London. He then went to the Middlesex Hospital Medical School, London, graduating in 1952. After hospital appointments he spent threeyears in Uganda investigating tropical fevers, and then 16 years in Canberra, Australia, interspersed with two years in the USA. This was followed by a 20 year period in London as Professor of Microbiology at Guys Hospital MedicalSchool, where his enthusiasm for teaching found its outlet. <br/><br/>His career has focussed on virology, infectious diseases and immunology, and he has produced five books and more than a hundred scientific papers on thesesubjects. Pathogenesis has been his constant research interest, covering a broad range, from warts and scrapie to LCM and herpes viruses. He is always astounded at ordinary people's ignorance of what goes on inside their bodies when a microbiological invader gets to work, and in 2000 he published The War Within Us; Everyman's Guide to Infection and Immunity .
- Author(s)Cedric A. Mims,Derek Wakelin,Ivan M. Roitt,J. H. L. Playfair,Rosamund Williams
- PublisherElsevier Health Sciences
- Date of Publication01/01/1998
- GenreScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Out-of-print date21/11/2009
- Content Note744 illus
- Weight1835 g
- Width210 mm
- Height280 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £3.68Trending at £3.79
- £12.88Trending at £16.17
- £14.56Trending at £16.22
- £9.98Trending at £10.45
- £7.72Trending at £9.97
- £11.10Trending at £15.01
- £54.14Trending at £82.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.