All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring 1949 and 1950 H.W. Tilman mounted pioneering expeditions to Nepal's Himalaya. He explored the Ganesh Himal, before moving on to the Jugal Himal and then an ambitious trip to Annapurna and Everest. Nepal Himalaya presents Tilman's sketches, encounters with yetis, trouble with porters and food, and his obsessive relationship with alcohol.
- Author BiographyHarold William 'Bill' Tilman (1898-1977) was among the greatest adventurers of his time, a pioneering mountaineer and sailor who held exploration above all else. Tilman joined the army at seventeen and was twice awarded the Military Cross for bravery during WWI. After the war Tilman left for Africa, establishing himself as a coffee grower. He met Eric Shipton and began their famed mountaineering partnership, traversing Mount Kenya and climbing Kilimanjaro. Turning to the Himalaya, Tilman went on two Mount Everest expeditions, reaching 27,000 feet without oxygen in 1938. In 1936 he made the first ascent of Nanda Devi-the highest mountain climbed until 1950. He was the first European to climb in the remote Assam Himalaya, he delved into Afghanistan's Wakhan Corridor and he explored extensively in Nepal, all the while developing a mountaineering style characterised by its simplicity and emphasis on exploration. It was perhaps logical then that Tilman would eventually buy the pilot cutter Mischief-not with the intention of retiring from travelling, but to access remote mountains. For twenty-two years Tilman sailed Mischief and her successors to Patagonia, where he crossed the vast ice cap, and to Baffin Island to make the first ascent of Mount Raleigh. He made trips to Greenland, Spitsbergen and the South Shetlands, before disappearing in the South Atlantic Ocean in 1977.
- Author(s)H. W. Tilman
- PublisherCrescent House
- Date of Publication06/04/2017
- GenreTravel Writing
- Series TitleH.W. Tilman - The Collected Edition
- Series Part/Volume Number13
- Place of PublicationSheffield
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteBlack and white photographs
- Weight400 g
- Width156 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Foreword byEd Douglas
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Travel Guides & Travel Stories
Save on Travel Guides & Travel Stories
- £12.06Trending at £15.18
- £10.75Trending at £12.26
- £3.99Trending at £6.98
- £11.33Trending at £14.48
- £9.97Trending at £10.99
- £4.63Trending at £5.98
- £11.51Trending at £11.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.