All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £8.64Trending at £8.97
- £4.36Trending at £4.56
- £9.51Trending at £10.07
- £8.79Trending at £12.98
- £3.02Trending at £4.00
- £8.89Trending at £10.38
- £6.35Trending at £7.98
About this product
- DescriptionDraws together a range of papers by experienced writers in mathematics education who have used the concept of situated cognition in their research. This book provides an overview of developments and applications to which other researchers can refer and which may inspire research.
- Author BiographyAnne Watson is Reader in Mathematics Education at the University of Oxford. Before that she taught for many years in maintained secondary schools which served socially diverse areas. She now works in teacher education, and her work with students, and in local schools, and her research is characterised by a concern for social justice through education. In particular, the nature of mathematics classrooms and adolescents' relationships within them are a central concern. She has published numerous books, articles and papers for both professional and academic audiences and is often asked to talk to national and international audiences of researchers and practitioners. Peter Winbourne currently lectures in mathematics education at the London South Bank University. After a long career teaching mathematics in inner city multicultural maintained schools, his passion for mathematics and social equity took him into teacher education, preparing people to work in similar schools. His interests developed from specific focus on the uses of new technologies to support learning to answering difficult questions such as why people should bother to learn at all. In answering these questions he has developed his understanding and ideas of theories of situated cognition, seeing these as illuminating the experiences of individuals as they become the people they are going to be.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication03/01/2008
- GenreEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleMathematics Education Library
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 45
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight721 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byAnne Watson,Peter Winbourne
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.