Best-selling in Literature, Poetry & Criticism
Save on Literature, Poetry & Criticism
- £8.66Trending at £8.79
- £8.93Trending at £9.52
- £7.33Trending at £7.70
- £6.54Trending at £8.96
- £7.27Trending at £8.35
- £17.11Trending at £21.93
- £12.06Trending at £12.22
About this product
- DescriptionAccomplishes what has proven to be so difficult for poets across time: a deeply satisfying balance of the spiritual and political. This book focuses on both singular and communal: the self on its journey through the world and our responsibilities as a people for the precarious state of that world.
- Author BiographyNance Van Winckel teaches in the graduate creative writing programs at Eastern Washington University and Vermont College. She is the author of four books of poetry and three collections of short stories. Her numerous awards include two National Endowment for the Arts Poetry Fellowships, a Pushcart Prize, two Washington State Artist Trust Awards, and Poetry Magazine's Friends of Literature Award. After a Spell won the Washington State Governor's Award for Poetry.SlateMy too-sharp lefts kept making the bundle in backsluice right. I was driving with the dead Nancein the truck bed. The gas gauge didn't workso there was an added worry of runningout of juice. Her word. Her word onewindy evening with the carpetsstripped from a floor, whichsurprised us as stone - slatefrom the quarry we wereheaded to now, but Let's first have ussome juice, she'd said, then, barefoot on bare slate.The truck-bedded Nance, wrapped in her winding sheet,thuds left, clunks right. I'm sorry about my driving,sorry about the million lovely pine moths mottledon my windshield. Thank God, here's the quarry,and there's the high ledge, where, as a girl longago, she'd stepped bravely from the whitetowel and stared down. Then she'd held her noseand leapt out into it - this same cool and radiant air.
- Author(s)Nance Van Winckel
- PublisherUniversity of Washington Press
- Date of Publication02/08/2007
- GenrePoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitlePacific Northwest Poetry Series
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Washington Press
- Weight136 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.