Best-selling in Travel Guides & Travel Stories
Save on Travel Guides & Travel Stories
- £9.91Trending at £13.99
- £19.38Trending at £30.00
- £11.70Trending at £13.78
- £10.41Trending at £14.47
- £11.32Trending at £12.34
- £12.51Trending at £16.54
- £11.81Trending at £14.47
About this product
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/11/1975
- GenrePsychology: Professional & General
- Series TitleAdvances in the Study of Communication and Affect
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content NoteIX, 196 p.
- Weight317 g
- Edited byPatricia Pliner
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1975
- Table Of Contents1 Language and Communication-II : The View from '74.- On Language.- Aspects of Language.- References.- 2 Visual Behavior as an Aspect of Power Role Relationships.- Empirical Studies.- Experiment 1: Visual Attentiveness in Relation to Power Differences in Legitimate and Illegitimate Hierarchies.- Experiment 2: Visual Interaction as a Consequence of Various Reward Ratios in Legitimate Power Hierarchies.- Interpersonal Control Orientation and Visual Attentiveness in a Dyadic Discussion.- Discussion.- References.- 3 Direct Gaze as a Social Stimulus: The Example of Aggression.- Limitations to the Interpretation of the Gaze.- Visual Behavior and Social Interaction.- The Stare.- Staring and Avoidance.- Staring and Approach.- The Complexities of the Appeasement Gesture.- Discussion and Speculations.- Factors Affecting the Interpretation of Visual Behavior.- Summary.- References.- 4 Patterns of Emotions and Emotion Communication in Hostility and Aggression.- Affect, Communication, and Consciousness.- Patterns of Affects in Anger, Disgust, Contempt, and Hostility.- Intraindividual Emotion Communication in Hostility.- Emotion Expression, Interindividual Emotion Communication, and Aggression.- Studies of Rhesus Monkeys with Sectioned Facial Nerves.- Studies of Mother-Infant and Peer Interactions in a Playpen Apparatus.- Summary.- References.- 5 Communication and Aggression in a Group of Young Chimpanzees.- Coordination as a Directly Observable Phenomenon.- Communication about Objects.- The Group Split Threshold .- The Unique Role of Food in Controlling Dispersion.- Communication about Objects and Its Effect on Group Splitting.- Amount and Distribution of Food as Determiners of Dispersion.- Relations among Subgroups within a Group.- Conclusions.- References.- 6 Nonverbal Expressions of Aggression and Submission in Social Groups of Primates.- References.- 7 Nonverbal Communication: The Effect of Affect on Individual and Group Behavior.- The Problem: What Does an Animal Communicate and How Can We Know?.- The Model: Social Behavior of Wolves.- Prerequisites of Communication.- Physiological Correlates of Communication: Inadequate Criteria.- The Body Language of Wolves: A Social Lexicon.- Communication, Pack Organization, and Population Control.- The Executive Male: Sex without Issue.- The Pack as Kingmaker.- Taming a Wolf.- The Role of Early Experience in Determining Later Behavior.- Behavioral Taxonomy: Communication.- Social Behavior and Breeding Structure.- References.- 8 Animal's Defenses: Fighting in Predator-Prey Relations.- The Framework of the Analysis.- Comparative Method and Predator Defenses.- Summary of the Analysis of Predator Defenses.- Relations between Predator Defense and Aggression.- References.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.