Consider these sponsored items
All listings for this product
About this product
- PublisherManchester University Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2015
- GenreMilitary History
- Series TitleNursing History and Humanities
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintManchester University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, black & white
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Edited byChristine Hallett,Jane Brooks
- Table Of ContentsIntroduction: The practice of nursing and the exigencies of war - Jane Brooks and Christine E Hallett Part I: Gentlemen's Wars 1. Class, gender and professional expertise: British military nursing in the Crimean War - Carol Helmstadter 2. American Nightingales: The influence of Florence Nightingale on Southern nurses during the American Civil War - Barbara Maling 3. Traversing the veldt with 'Tommy Atkins': The clinical challenges of nursing typhoid patients during the Second Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) - Charlotte Dale Part II: Industrial War 4. 'This fiendish mode of warfare': Nursing the victims of gas poisoning in the First World War - Christine E Hallett 5. Health, healing and harmony: Invalid cookery and feeding by Australian nurses in the Middle East in World War I - Kirsty Harris 6. Eyewitnesses to revolution: Canadian military nurses at Petrograd, 1915-17 - Cynthia Toman 7. The impact of the First World War on asylum and voluntary hospital nurses' work and health - Deborah Palmer Part III: Technological Warfare 8. Blood and guts: Nursing with the International Brigades in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-39 - Angela Jackson 9. 'Those maggots did a wonderful job': The nurses' role in wound management in civilian hospitals during the Second World War - David Justham 10. 'The nurse stoops down... for me': Nursing the liberated persons at Bergen-Belsen - Jane Brooks 11. The Norwegian Mobile Army Surgical Hospital: Nursing at the front - Jan-Thore Lockertsen, Ashild Fause, Christine E Hallett & Jane Brooks 12. Moving forward: Australian flight nurses in the Korean War - Maxine Dahl Bibliography Index -- .
- Author BiographyJane Brooks is a Lecturer in Nursing at the University of Manchester and Deputy Director of the UK Centre for the History of Nursing and Midwifery Christine Hallett is Professor of Nursing History at the University of Manchester -- .
- PrizesWinner of Mary Roberts Award 2015 (UK).
Best-selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £5.49Trending at £9.99
- £33.99Trending at £37.78
- £5.06Trending at £6.00
- £8.30Trending at £15.98
- £9.66Trending at £14.59
- £8.84Trending at £12.99
- £7.75Trending at £7.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.