Save on Adult Learning & University
- £17.73Trending at £20.16
- £9.24Trending at £9.34
- £26.45Trending at £27.94
- £14.51Trending at £17.08
- £18.89Trending at £20.40
- £29.50Trending at £30.61
- £24.56Trending at £25.98
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the most comprehensive and up-to-date book on the topic of planetary rings systems yet written. The book is written in a style that is easily accessible to the interested non expert. Each chapter includes notes, references, figures and tables.
- Author BiographyOf all the planets, Saturn is the most instantly recognisable to everyone because of its beautiful system of rings, visible in even a small telescope, discovered by Galileo in 1610, but not recognised for what they are until Christiaan Huygens' observations in 1655. Until 1977, Saturn's rings were considered unique, but we now know that all four gas giants, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are surrounded by ring systems. However, it is true that the rings of Saturn remain in a class of their own. James Clerk Maxwell's fascination with the rings of Saturn was made clear in his 1857 Adams Prize essay. After quoting parts of Maxwell's essay in their recent Scientific American article on rings [ Bejewelled Worlds , special edition entitled New Light on the Solar System, V. 13, No. 3, pp. 74-83, 2003], Burns, Hamilton and Showalter stated, A century and a half later Saturn's rings remain a symbol of all that is exotic and wondrous about the universe . Ellis Miner and Randii Wessen co-authored the successful Springer-Praxis book, Neptune: the planet, rings and satellites, published in December 2001 which has sold 1076 copies worldwide to date.
- Author(s)Ellis D. Miner,Jefferey N. Cuzzi,Randii R. Wessen
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication11/10/2006
- GenreScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSpringer Praxis Books / Space Exploration
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight518 g
- Width240 mm
- Height170 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.