All listings for this product
About this product
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/09/2016
- GenreEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white tables, 34 black & white halftones
- Weight570 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Edited byKathryn F. Whitmore,Richard J. Meyer
- Table Of ContentsIntroduction * Reclaiming Early Childhood Literacies Richard J. Meyer and Kathryn F. Whitmore Pillar I: LEARNING Pillar Introduction: We Use a Lot More Dots in Arabic than You Do in English: A Learning Language Story Jerome C. Harste and Carolyn L. Burke * Reclaiming or Reframing? Getting the Right Conceptual Metaphor for Thinking About Early Literacy Learning Brian Cambourne Chapter 2 Extension: Moving Toward the Discourse of Meaning-Making Brian Cambourne and Richard J. Meyer * What Complex Miscues Tell Us About Kindergarteners' Making Sense of Print Alan D. Flurkey and David P. Schultz Chapter 3 Extension: Text Matters: Predictable and Decodable Texts Prisca Martens * Take That Ronald! Disrupting Gender Role Binaries with Powerful Picturebooks Kathryn F. Whitmore and Christie Angleton Chapter 4 Extension: Innocence, Intersectionality, and Normativity: Choosing Powerful Picturebooks About Gender Diversity Scott Ritchie * Toddlers, Touchscreens, and Tablet Technologies: Learning Concepts Beyond Print Karen E. Wohlwend Chapter 5 Extension: Digital Observers, Explorers, and Teachers in Preschool Kathryn F. Whitmore and Emily L. Zuccaro Pillar II: TEACHING Pillar Introduction: Noisy 'E's': A Language Story about Teaching Jerome C. Harste and Carolyn L. Burke * Doin' School in the Orchard : Reclaiming and Nurturing Kids' Connection to Nature Through Ecological Literacy M. Ruth Davenport Chapter 6 Extension: A Year of Rich Learning for a Young Child Christine Sims and Richard J. Meyer * The Search for Joy and the Realities of Wounds in Early Literacy Krystal Wood-Kofonow and Richard J. Meyer Chapter 7 Extension: Amy and George: Wounds and Joy in Literacy Lives Renita R. Schmidt and Meg M. Jacobs * Infusing Meaning and Joy back into Books: Reclaiming Literacy in Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder Holly L. Damico, Jack S. Damico, Ryan L. Nelson, Christine Weill, and Jamie Maxwell Chapter 8 Extension: Beginning the Lifelong Journey of Language and Literacy in Very Young Children Michael L. Shaw Pillar III: CURRICULUM Pillar Introduction: Close Reading: A Curriculum Language Story Jerome C. Harste and Carolyn L. Burke * Designing Literacy Curriculum: Teaching Literacy as Response to Learning Kenneth S. Goodman and Yetta M. Goodman Chapter 9 Extension: Designing Curriculum in Response to Max's and Zachary's Learning Alan D. Flurkey and Kathryn F. Whitmore * First Grade Children Discover the Power of Expression by Creating Descriptive Drawings S. Rebecca Leigh Chapter 10 Extension: Art and Writing in Kindergarten Inquiry Allen Koshewa * Reclaiming Early Literacies by Learning about Self and Others through Global Literature and Art Prisca Martens, Ray Martens, Jenna Loomis, Michelle Hassay Doyle, Laura Fuhrman, Christie Furnari, Elizabeth Soper, and Robbie Stout Chapter 11 Extension: Creating Global Understandings Through Play Kathy G. Short and Maria V. Acevedo * Two Curricular Worlds: Home and School Koomi Kim and Richard J. Meyer Chapter 12 Extension: Merging Home and School Curriculum with Home-Based Literacy Portfolios Jane Baskwill Pillar IV: LANGUAGE Pillar Introduction: The ABC Snake: A Language Story Jerome C. Harste and Carolyn L. Burke * I got Angry Birds in my Story : Reclaiming Language in an ESL Kindergarten Tasha Tropp Laman and Lucy Jaimes, with Lisa Jones Chapter 13 Extension: Food Truck Literacies in a Bilingual Kindergarten Community Caryl G. Crowell * Maybe Henry Did It! Maybe Chester Did It!: Young Children (Re)Authoring Through Postmodern Picturebooks Lenny Sanchez and Angie Zapata, with Josh Hill Chapter 14 Extensio
- Author BiographyRichard J. Meyer is a Regents' Professor and Chair of Language, Literacy, and Sociocultural Studies at the University of New Mexico, USA. Kathryn F. Whitmore holds the Ashland/Nystrand Chair of Early Childhood Research and is Director of the Early Childhood Research Center at the University of Louisville, USA.
Best-selling in Society & Education
Save on Society & Education
- £13.70Trending at £14.52
- £25.40Trending at £27.06
- £9.28Trending at £17.50
- £22.37Trending at £25.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.