All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £24.44Trending at £26.14
- £23.12Trending at £34.97
- £10.01Trending at £10.71
- £24.23Trending at £25.20
- £17.16Trending at £22.75
- £21.65Trending at £24.16
- £4.99Trending at £6.17
About this product
- DescriptionOn a summer's day on the Somme in 1916, one brave battalion, The Kensingtons, lost half its men in less than an hour, cut to pieces by enemy artillery. The Kensingtons, guardians of the right flank on the battlefront at Gommecourt, were ordered to march on the enemy without proper preparation in a move later condemned as foolhardy and suicidal.
- Author BiographyTerence Kearey was born in North Harrow in 1935, one of three children of a hard-working lower middle class family. In the 1950s he embarked on a career in the printing and reproduction industry, but dismayed by the industrial greed and strife of the 1960s and 70s, he abandoned a successful career to become a college lecturer. Along the way he developed a keen interest in history and spent many years researching the story of his own family, all the way back to the Irish Ciardha clan of the Dark Ages from which the family name is derived. He has taken a similar interest in his mother's family, the Collinses of Chard in Somerset. Having studied the lives and times of his forebears over the centuries, he has woven their stories together into a fascinating narrative thread which reaches all the way from the Irish clans of the early centuries AD to his own personal experiences of love, life, work, marriage and parenthood in the 20th century. He is now working on a film script involving moments from the first three of this quartet, Country Ways, History, Heroism and Home and A Changing World. His new book 'Safeguard Our Flank' focuses on a key campaign of the First World War in which his father, Regimental Sergeant Major (later Major) Albert Kearey, played a key role.
- Author(s)Terence Kearey
- PublisherMemoirs Publishing
- Date of Publication10/08/2012
- GenreTrue Military / Combat Stories
- Place of PublicationCirencester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMemoirs Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight350 g
- Width152 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine7 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.