CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Save on Adult Learning & University
- £16.49Trending at £21.12
- £9.10Trending at £10.99
- £24.21Trending at £25.37
- £14.15Trending at £22.06
- £10.89Trending at £12.30
- £27.75Trending at £47.99
- £10.46Trending at £14.18
About this product
- Author(s)Beno Eckmann
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication23/05/2013
- Language(s)eng, fre, ger
- Series TitleSpringer Collected Works in Mathematics
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content Note15 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight1282 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine42 mm
- Edited byGuido Mislin,Max-Albert Knus,Urs Stammbach
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementReprint 2013 of the 1987 edition
- Table Of ContentsZur Homotopietheorie gefaserter Raume.- Uber die Homotopiegruppen von Gruppenraumen.- Systeme von Richtungsfeldern in Spharen und stetige Losungen komplexer linearer Gleichungen.- L'idee de dimension.- Stetige Losungen linearer Gleichungssysteme.- Gruppentheoretischer Beweis des Satzes von Hurwitz-Radon uber die Komposition quadratischer Formen.- Topologie und Algebra.- Uber monothetische Gruppen.- Harmonische Funktionen und Randwertaufgaben in einem Komplex.- Der Cohomologie-Ring einer beliebigen Gruppe.- Coverings and Betti numbers.- Formes differentielles et metrique hermitienne sans torsion. I. Structure complexe, formes pures.- Formes differentielles et metrique hermitienne sans torsion. II. Formes de classe k; formes analytiques.- Sur les varietes closes a metrique hermitienne sans torsion.- Quelques proprietes globales des varietes kahleriennes.- Espaces fibres et homotopie.- Sur l'integrabilite des structures presque complexes.- Complex-analytic manifolds.- On complexes with operators.- Uber injektive Moduln.- Cohomology of groups and transfer.- A class of compact, complex manifolds which are not algebraic.- Structures complexes et transformations infinitesimales.- Raume mit Mittelbildungen.- Zur Cohomologietheorie von Raumen und Gruppen.- Homotopie et dualite.- Groupes d'homotopie et dualite. Groupes absolus.- Groupes d'homotopie et dualite. Suites exactes.- Groupes d'homotopie et dualite. Coefficients.- Transgression homotopique et cohomologique.- Decomposition homologique d'un polyedre simplement connexe.- On the homology and homotopy decomposition of continuous maps.- Groupes d'homotopie et dualite.- Structure maps in group theory.- Group-like structures in general categories I. Multiplications and comultiplications.- Homotopie und Homologie.- Generalized means.- Homotopy and cohomology theory.- Unions and intersections in homotopy theory.- Composition functors and spectral sequences.- Commuting limits with colimits.- Continuous solutions of linear equations - some exceptional dimensions in topology.- Le groupe des types simples d'homotopie sur un polyedre.- Simple homotopy type and categories of fractions.- On central group extensions and homology.- On the homology theory of central group extensions: I - The commutator map and stem extensions.- On the Schur multiplicator of a central quotient of a direct product of groups.- Groups with homological duality generalizing Poincare duality.- Finiteness properties of duality groups.- Aspherical manifolds and higher-dimensional knots.- Cobordism for Poincare duality groups.- Rational representations of finite groups and their Euler class.- Two-dimensional Poincare duality groups and pairs.- On the Euler class of representations of finite groups over real fields.- Some recent developments in the homology theory of groups (Groups of finite and virtually finite dimension).- Poincare duality groups of dimension two.- Chern classes of group representations over a number field.- Plane motion groups and virtual Poincare duality of dimension two.- Poincare duality groups of dimension two, II.- Profinite Chern classes for group representations.- The p-periodicity of the groups GL (n, Os(K)) and SL(n, Os(K)).- Galois action on algebraic matrix groups, Chern classes and the Euler class.- Poincare duality groups of dimension two are surface groups.- Cyclic homology of groups and the Bass conjecture.- Notes.- I. Homotopy groups and fiber spaces.- II. Continuous solutions of linear equations.- III. Cohomology of groups.- IV. Homological algebra, transfer.- V. Duality in homotopy theory.- VI. Duality groups, Poincare duality.- Bibliography of the publications of B. Eckmann.- List of Ph.D. Theses written under the supervision of B. Eckmann.
- Author BiographyProf. Beno Eckmann (1917-2008) was a distinguished mathematician who also exerted great influence on the promotion and development of Mathematics all over the globe. At Ben Gurion University he initiated the establishment of the Center for Advanced Studies in Mathematics, and served actively on its advisory committee until his passing away. Prof. Eckmann studied at ETH, where his PhD advisor was the famous Heinz Hopf. His brilliant Ph.D. work won him the Kern Prize and silver medal. He was a member of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton in 1947, 1951 and 1952, where he worked with Albert Einstein and John von Neumann. Prof. Eckmann is considered one of the founding fathers of Homological Algebra and Category Theory, with special emphasis on Topology and Cohomology of Groups. A close cooperation between Eckmann and Peter Hilton, who was a frequent guest at ETH since the 1950's, led to numerous papers (over 25) on these subjects. Eckmann had over 60 Ph.D. students, many of whom also became prominent mathematicians. In parallel with his scientific endeavors, Prof. Eckmann contributed significantly to the promotion and development of Mathematics, often through his ability to convince others of the importance of the field. For example, in 1964 he established the famous Institute for Advanced Studies at ETH, which he headed for 20 years until his retirement. Later he interested the Springer family, through Julius Springer, to establish the prestigious and influential series Lecture Notes in Mathematics . He was the chief editor of this series until near his passing away. He was awarded many honorary degrees, one of them from Ben Gurion University. He was president of the Swiss Mathematical Society and secretary of the International Mathematical Union for 5 years. He also served as an Honorary President of the International Congress of Mathematicians in Zurich in 1994.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.