Best-selling in Travel Guides & Travel Stories
Save on Travel Guides & Travel Stories
- £10.84Trending at £11.22
- £10.48Trending at £10.85
- £4.63Trending at £5.29
- £4.37Trending at £4.82
- £24.93Trending at £25.34
- £13.68Trending at £17.34
- £7.18Trending at £9.98
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume offers a selection of key papers from Joseph Leonard Walsh, former US Naval Officer and professor at University of Maryland and Harvard University. It includes one of Walsh's most influential works, A closed set of normal orthogonal function.
- Author BiographyJoseph Leonard Walsh (1895-1973) was an American mathematician. For most of his professional career he studied and worked at Harvard University. He received a B.S. in 1916 and a PhD in 1920. The Advisor of his PhD was Maxime Bocher. He started to work as lecturer in Harvard afterwards and became a full professor in 1935. With two different scholarships he was able to study in Paris under Paul Montel (1920-21) and in Munich under Constantin Caratheodory (1925-26). From 1937 to 1942 he served as chairman of his department at Harvard. During World War II he served as an officer in the US navy and was promoted to captain right after end of the war. After his retirement from Harvard in 1966 he accepted a position at the University of Maryland where he continued to work up to a few months before his death. Joseph L. Walsh became a member of the National Academy of Sciences in 1936 and served 1949-51 as president of the American Mathematical Society. Altogether he published 279 articles (research and others), seven books and advised 31 PhD students. The Walsh function and the Walsh-Hadamard code are named after him. The Grace-Walsh-Szego Coincidence Theorem is important in the study of the location of the zeros of multivariate polynomials.
- Author(s)Joseph L. Walsh
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication31/01/2013
- Language(s)English, German
- Series TitleSpringer Collected Works in Mathematics
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight1098 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Edited byEdward B. Saff,Theodore J. Rivlin
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementReprint 2013 of the 2000 edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.