Best-selling in Manuals & Resources
Save on Manuals & Resources
- £5.48Trending at £6.46
- £9.99Trending at £12.34
- £14.86Trending at £15.05
- £19.59Trending at £26.28
- £9.46Trending at £12.99
- £13.65Trending at £14.08
- £12.17Trending at £13.76
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first complete modern survey of the institution of slavery in Brazil and how it affected the lives of enslaved Africans.
- Author BiographyHerbert S. Klein is Director of the Center for Latin American Studies, Professor of History, and senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution, at Stanford University, as well as Gouverneur Morris Professor Emeritus of History at Columbia University. Klein is the author of some 20 books and 155 articles in several languages on Latin America and on comparative themes in social and economic history. Among these books are four comparative studies of slavery, the most recent of which are African Slavery in Latin America and the Caribbean (co-author), The Atlantic Slave Trade, and Slavery and the Economy of Sao Paulo, 1750-1850 (co-author). He has also published on such diverse themes as The American Finances of the Spanish Empire, 1680-1809 and A Population History of the United States and is co-author of Brazil Since 1980 and Mexico Since 1980. Francisco Vidal Luna was Professor of Economics at the Universidade de Sao Paulo until his retirement in 1997. Aside from his academic career, he was Chief da Assessoria Economica da Secretaria da Fazenda do Estado de Sao Paulo (1983-1985), Head of IPLAN-IPEA (1985-1986), and Secretario de Planejamento of the Secretaria do Planejamento of the Presidencia da Republica (1986-1987). Luna was also socio-gerente, vice-president, and president of the Banco Inter-American Express (1987-2002). In 2005, he became the Secretary of Planning and Budget of the Municipality of Sao Paulo, and in 2008, he took on the role of Secretary of Economy and Planning of the state government of Sao Paulo. Luna is the author of some 50 articles and papers and 11 books on Brazilian economic history and the Brazilian economy, among which are Minas Gerais: Escravos e Senhores, Minas Colonial: Economia e Sociedade (co-author), Slavery and the Economy of Sao Paulo, 1750-1850 (co-author), and Brazil since 1980 (co-author).
- Author(s)Francisco Vidal Luna,Herbert S. Klein
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication09/11/2009
- GenreHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note35 b/w illus. 40 tables
- Weight610 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.