Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- £3.99+ £2.00 P&P
- New condition
- Sold by billy380_0
- See details for delivery est.
- £2.80Free P&P
- Good condition
- Sold by cmedia_group
- Est. delivery by 29 Oct
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a facsimile reprint of a classic account of the reality of life as a Gypsy in the 1950s when Travellers lived in horse drawn wagons and stopped by the wayside in quiet country lanes wherever possible, but were often driven to atch besides main highways.
- Author BiographyThe author is notoriously secretive and his true name and any personal details about his past have never been publicly disclosed. It is known, however, that he took to the life of a Traveller in his late teens (he was not born a Gypsy) and although turned seventy continues to live and earn his living in the traditional way. His dislike for both academics and do gooders is balanced by his close friendship for fellow Travellers and his adherence to traditions which many of those born Gypsies have abandoned. His wife, who drew the illustrations, goes by the name of 'Beshlie' and her drawings were much admired by Augustus John (who painted her) and bought by Dame Laura Knight. Dominic and Beshlie regularly attend the traditional horse fairs at Stow but have no permanent fixed address and their publisher communicates with them via an accommodation address. His three books (each with illustrations by Beshlie) are considered to be the most accurate account of the evolving life of English Gypsies (Romanichal) and as such of lasting value. Their genuineness can be attributed to the author having lived the life of a Traveller for all his adult life.
- PrizesWinner of Theatre Book Prize 2002.
- Author(s)Dominic Reeve
- PublisherUniversity of Hertfordshire Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2003
- GenreAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationHatfield
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintUniversity of Hertfordshire Press
- Content Note4 line drawings, glossary
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Foreword byPeter Ingram
- Edition StatementFacsimile edition
Best-selling in Biographies & True Stories
Save on Biographies & True Stories
- £3.94Trending at £4.02
- £14.01Trending at £20.37
- £11.94Trending at £18.98
- £6.99Trending at £7.10
- £12.80Trending at £18.01
- £7.98Trending at £10.99
- £9.77Trending at £13.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.