All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £8.64Trending at £8.94
- £4.37Trending at £4.55
- £9.51Trending at £10.03
- £3.02Trending at £4.00
- £8.79Trending at £10.38
- £6.35Trending at £7.34
- £9.81Trending at £12.48
About this product
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication25/11/2014
- GenreAstronomy, Space & Time
- Series TitleAstrophysics and Space Science Library
- Series Part/Volume Number415
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note61 black & white illustrations, 98 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight907 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byJean-Claude Vial,Oddbjorn Engvold
- Table Of ContentsPart I A general introduction.- Description and classification of the prominence object .- Part II The main properties.- Bulk motions.- Radiative Transfer and Non-LTE modelling.- Energy Balance.- Part III Magnetism and dynamics.- Dynamics and formation of flows.- MHD waves .- MHD modelling .- Large patterns/filament channels .- Part IV Eruptive prominences and their impact on the Earth.- The association with Coronal Mass Ejections.- The triggering mechanisms.- The impacts on our Earth and our life.- Similar manifestations in the Universe.
- Author BiographyJean-Claude Vial has been involved in Space Solar Physics for more than fourty-five years. He was Co-Investigator on several NASA satellite missions and space probes. He is also involved in the EUI and SPICE instrumentations for future ESA Solar Orbiter mission. He was scientific director of the Multi Experiment Data and Operations Center for SOHO in Europe until the end of 2000 and Head of the Solar and Stellar Group at I.A.S. until January 2005. He proposed various space solar missions in the frame of the C.N.E.S. microsatellite program, e.g. LYOT on-board the SMESE satellite, and in 2009, the LYOT-based ECLIPSE instrumentation in the frame of the ESA Proba 3 program. His main research interests are solar prominences, the chromosphere and transition region, the solar corona. He is now Directeur de Recherche Emerite of C.N.R.S. Oddbjorn Engvold is Professor emeritus of the Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics, University of Oslo. His main field of research and teaching has been on the physics of Sun and stars. His research has involved solar and stellar dynamics and magnetic activity; with special interest in solar prominences. From 2003 to 2006 he was General Secretary of the IAU. Prof. Engvold was an editor of the journal Solar Physics and is a member of the editorial board of Solar Physics and the book series Astrophysics and Space Science Library.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.