All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAll the poetry of Sorley Maclean, the most significant 20th century Gaelic poet, is gathered together in one volume for the first time. Over 150 poems, some never published before, are given in Gaelic alongside their English translation. Introduced by a biographical essay on his life, influences and impact.
- Author BiographySorley MacLean was born on the island of Raasay in 1911. He was brought up within a family and community immersed in Gaelic language and culture, particularly song. He studied English at Edinburgh University from 1929, taking a first class honours degree. Despite this influence, he eventually adopted Gaelic as the medium most appropriate for his poetry. He translated much of his own work into English, opening it up to a wider public. Amongst other awards and honours, he received the Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry in 1990. He died in 1996 at the age of 85. Christopher Whyte is probably the greatest living expert on MacLean's poetry. His annotated editions of the Dain do Eimhir and An Cuilithionn 1939 contained a significant quantity of hitherto unpublished material and have been met with acclaim. He is himself a Gaelic poet of substance whose fifth collection, An Daolag Shionach, is due to appear in 2012. Author of four novels in English, he taught from 1990 to 2005 at the Department of Scottish Literature in Glasgow University. He now lives and writes full-time in Budapest. Emma Dymock gained a First Class Honours in Celtic at the University of Edinburgh in 2003, and has since completed an MSc on symbolism in twentieth-century Gaelic poetry and a PhD on themes of politics and concepts of the self in Sorley MacLean's An Cuilithionn. She is currently a Post-Doctoral Fellow in the Department of Celtic and Scottish Studies at the University of Edinburgh and has written various articles and chapters on the subject of Sorley MacLean's poetry, as well as co-editing two books on Scottish and Gaelic literature.
- Author(s)Christopher Whyte,Emma Dymock
- PublisherBirlinn General
- Date of Publication24/10/2011
- GenrePoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolygon An Imprint of Birlinn Limited
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edition StatementAnnotated edition
Best-selling in Literature, Poetry & Criticism
Save on Literature, Poetry & Criticism
- £4.99Trending at £5.14
- £20.99Trending at £22.49
- £8.72Trending at £10.98
- £30.68Trending at £41.00
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.