Best-selling in Law
Save on Law
- £6.25Trending at £7.01
- £18.49Trending at £18.70
- £28.12Trending at £29.56
- £31.13Trending at £36.96
- £32.31Trending at £34.89
- £29.70Trending at £30.26
- £29.77Trending at £30.27
About this product
- Author(s)Derek M. Powell
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication11/08/2016
- GenreLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8 black & white tables
- Weight646 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Table Of ContentsChapter 1 Introduction Chapter 2 Peacebuilding The Rise of the Post-Cold War Peace and Security Architecture Integrated Transition The 'Peace Map' of a Typical UN Peace Building Operation Fragmentation Not Integration Chapter 3 State Building The Evolution of Post-Conflict State Building Building Denmark Building Leviathan The Core State Functions Model The Grand Bargain model State Building Limits Our View of State Formation Chapter 4 State Formation in National Peace Transitions State Formation as Historical Process Imperfectly Shaped by Human Design The State as an Incipient System of Rules for State Authority National Peace Transition as a Normative Field of State Formation Chapter 5 Cities and State Formation Federalism and Local Government Decentralization and Local Government The Constitutive Role of Local Government in State Formation Incipient Local Authority The Formation of Rules for Local Authority in National Peace Transitions Local Peace Transition Chapter 6 The South African Peace Transition State Racism and the Long Arc of Conflict in South Africa (1910-1993) The Fragile Apartheid State The Peace Transition: Political Negotiations and Constitution-Making (1990-1996) Chapter 7 Civic Conflict Local Government and the Enforcement of Apartheid Civic Struggle as People's War The Civic Dimension of the Conflict Civic Conflict Defined the Pathways for the Local Peace Transition Chapter 8 The Local Peace Transition in South Africa Local Peace Agreements The 'Local Government' Constitution Elected Transitional Local Council Local Peace Transition Chapter 9 Cities and State Formation in National Peace Transitions Bibliography Index
- Author BiographyDerek Powell is an Associate Professor in Law and Head of the Multi-Level Government Initiative in the Dullah Omar Institute of Constitutional Law, Governance and Human Rights at the University of the Western Cape. He served as a deputy director-general, senior civil servant and policy advisor in the South African government under the Mandela and Mbeki administrations (1996-2009), where he worked on key policy processes to establish and reform the systems of democratic local government and intergovernmental relations. He was head of the research department at the Constitutional Assembly during the process to draft a democratic constitution for South Africa (1994-96). His research interests focus on comparative constitutional studies, international peace and security law and politics, local government, intergovernmental relations, public finance management, and more recently on using large datasets in researching complex problems of governance that cut across the law, state, economy, and society. He is co-editor of Jaap de Visser, Nico Steytler, Derek Powell, Ebenezer Durojaye eds., Constitution Building in Africa (Nomos, 2015).
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.