All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book covers the history of stratospheric flight from the earliest times to the present. It explains how a pilot flies at extreme altitudes and the risks and problems involved. Includes material on the author's personal experiences as a stratonaut pilot.
- Author BiographyDutch Von Ehrenfried has worked in both the spaceflight and aviation fields for about 25 years, including as a stratonaut himself. He was a NASA Flight Controller in Mission Control for Mercury, Gemini and Apollo Missions and also worked on some of the experiments that went into Skylab from an Earth Resources experiment standpoint. He worked in the NASA Headquarters Space Station Program Office for about 10 years and the FAA Aviation Safety Office for a year. In addition to being a pilot, his high altitude flying experience came about because he was also an Apollo Pressure Suit Test Subject and had a lot of experience in both Air Force and NASA space suits. This experience required him to perform a lot of physiological tests in centrifuges, vacuum chambers, zero g aircraft, etc. In addition, Von Ehrenfried has a lot of experience working with scientists on Apollo, which gave him the knowledge needed to translate scientific requirements into flight operations. Consequently, he became the first Mission Manager and sensor operator on the high altitude RB-57F Earth Resources Aircraft and worked with scientists to determine how the aircraft sensor platform would be able to acquire their data, planning the missions and operating the sensors in flight mostly in 60,000 -70,000 foot altitudes.
- Author(s)Manfred Von Ehrenfried
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication14/12/2013
- GenreAircraft & Spacecraft: General Interest
- Series TitleSpringer Praxis Books / Space Exploration
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note59 black & white illustrations, 87 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight517 g
- Width168 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £10.20Trending at £10.93
- £22.29Trending at £23.38
- £10.14Trending at £10.51
- £3.60Trending at £6.28
- £9.97Trending at £12.08
- £19.24Trending at £19.60
- £6.20Trending at £6.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.