All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Christopher K. Walker
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication25/09/2015
- GenreAstronomy, Space & Time
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note163 black & white illustrations, 16 colour illustrations, 17 black & white tables
- Weight1043 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Table Of ContentsThe Interstellar Medium at Terahertz Frequencies Introduction ISM Components of the Milky Way Lifecycle of the ISM Probing the Lifecycle of the ISM THz SEDs Conclusion THz Radiative Transfer Basics and Line Radiation Equation of Radiative Transfer Solution to the Equation of Radiative Transfer under LTE (Local Thermodynamic Equilibrium) Radiative Transfer of Rotational Transitions of Linear Molecules in LTE Non-LTE Approach Conclusion THz Continuum Emission Introduction THz Spectral Energy Distributions Deriving Dust Optical Depth, Column Density, and Mass Temperature and Density Distributions Dust Energy Balance in Clouds Dust-Gas Coupling Dust Polarization: Origin and Measurement Conclusion Simple Radiative Transfer Model Introduction Geometry Source Physical Conditions Lines of Sight Model Equation of Transfer LTE Radiative Transfer with Hydrodynamic Simulations Non-LTE Radiative Transfer with Hydrodynamic Simulations Going Further THz Optical Systems Introduction: Source-Beam Coupling QED and Maxwell Origin of a Single-Aperture Diffraction Pattern (QED) Gaussian Beam Optics Focusing Gaussian Beams Intercepting Gaussian Beams Illuminating THz Telescopes Conclusion THz Coherent Detection Systems Introduction Superheterodyne Receivers Receiver Noise Temperature Noise Temperature of THz Optical Systems THz Mixer Architectures and Noise IF Amplifiers Effective Temperature Measurement of THz Components THz Mixers THz Local Oscillators Receiver Back-Ends Receiver Stability and Allan Time Heterodyne Array Considerations Summary Incoherent Detectors Introduction Bolometer Basics Semiconductor Bolometers Superconducting Incoherent Background Noise Limited Operation Instrument Noise Limited Operation Sensitivity Requirements Comparing Heterodyne and Incoherent Detector Sensitivity Incoherent Array Considerations Conclusion THz Observing Techniques Introduction Observing Strategies Receiver Calibration Estimating Atmospheric Optical Depth THz Brightness Temperature of Planetary Bodies Conclusion THz Interferometry Introduction Simple Adding Interferometer Phase Switched Interferometer Correlation Interferometer Phasor Equation for Interferometry Aperture Synthesis of Extended Sources Filling-in uv Space Transforming the Visibility Function Map Noise Level Phase Closure or Self-Calibration Phase Error at THz Frequencies Answers to Problems Appendix 1: Timeline of Thz Technology Appendix 2: More Thz Transitions of Atoms and Molecules Appendix 3: Commonly Used Physical and Astronomical Quantities Appendix 4: Useful Radiative Transfer Expressions Appendix 5: Commonly Used Quasi-Optical Expressions Appendix 6: Useful Heterodyne Receiver Expressions References appear at the end of each chapter.
- Author BiographyChristopher K. Walker is a Professor of Astronomy and an Associate Professor of Optical Sciences and Electrical & Computer Engineering at the University of Arizona. He has over 30 years of experience designing, building, and using state-of-the-art receiver systems for THz astronomy. He is the author of numerous papers on star formation and protostellar evolution, a topical editor for IEEE Transactions on TeraHertz Science and Technology, and the principal investigator of the long-duration balloon project The Stratospheric THz Observatory (STO) funded by NASA.
Best-selling in Mathematics & Sciences
Save on Mathematics & Sciences
- £109.19Trending at £145.00
- £40.47Trending at £40.93
- £20.00Trending at £36.27
- £56.83Trending at £57.77
- £29.96Trending at £35.99
- £25.67Trending at £29.95
- £27.26Trending at £29.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.