All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPeter Boardman and Joe Tasker were at the forefront of Alpine and Himalayan climbing during the 1970s and early 1980s. Both were fine communicators and writers. This omnibus collects their books in which they describe some of the most dynamic climbs of the period.
- Author BiographyJoe Tasker was one of Britain's foremost mountaineers. He was a pioneer of lightweight, 'alpine-style' climbing in the Greater Ranges and had a special talent for writing. He died, with his friend Peter Boardman, high on Everest in 1982 while attempting the previously unclimbed North East Ridge. Their deaths marked the end of a remarkable era in British mountaineering. Born in Hull in 1948, Joe began rock climbing in his teens. Drawn to mountaineering, he made many remarkable ascents in the Alps, including the first British winter ascent of the North Face of the Eiger, before moving to the Greater Ranges. Here, Joe pioneered routes of extreme technical difficulty in a bold, alpine-style - at a time when huge expeditions and siege tactics were still the mountaineering norm. Peter Boardman was born on Christmas Day in 1950 and became one of Britain's most-respected high altitude mountaineers. He was a mountaineering instructor at Glenmore Lodge in the Cairngorms, and National Officer of the British Mountaineering Council before being appointed Director of the International School of Mountaineering in Leysin, Switzerland. He was part of Chris Bonington's 1975 Everest expedition, made an almost impossibly difficult ascent of Changabang with Joe Tasker in 1976 and went on to climb Kangchenjunga and to attempt to summit K2, being beaten back by poor weather and exhaustion. Mount Kongur followed in 1981 and, in March 1982, in a small expedition with Chris Bonington, Joe Tasker and Dick Renshaw, he attempted the previously unclimbed and highly difficult North East Ridge of Everest, where he and Joe Tasker tragically lost their lives.
- Author(s)Joe Tasker,Peter Boardman,Sir Chris Bonington
- PublisherBaton Wicks Publications
- Date of Publication01/02/2012
- GenreFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationMacclesfield
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBaton Wicks Publications
- Content Noteblack & white photos, drawing & maps
- Weight1210 g
- Width155 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine45 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Best-selling in Sports
Save on Sports
- £9.57Trending at £9.96
- £10.18Trending at £14.01
- £7.19Trending at £7.37
- £26.56Trending at £36.99
- £5.99Trending at £9.99
- £5.88Trending at £7.99
- £27.18Trending at £29.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.