The Business of Enlightenment: Publishing History of the Encyclopedie , 1775-1800 by Robert Darnton (Paperback, 1987)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- £46.83+ £0.40 P&P
- New condition
- Sold by wordery_specialist
- See details for delivery est.
- £36.08+ £5.99 P&P
- Very Good condition
- Sold by better_world_books_uk
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £4.36Trending at £4.51
- £9.51Trending at £9.95
- £2.70Trending at £4.00
- £8.89Trending at £10.49
- £6.35Trending at £7.34
- £9.81Trending at £12.44
- £7.48Trending at £8.16
About this product
- Author(s)Robert Darnton
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/1987
- GenreIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight908 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine39 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
- Table Of Contents* I. Introduction: The Biography of a Book * II. The Genesis of a Speculation in Publishing * The Neuchatel Reprint Plan * From the Reprint to the Revised Edition * Joseph Duplain and His Quarto Encyclopedie * Publishing, Politics, and Panckoucke * From the Revised Edition to the Quarto * The Paris Conference of 1777 * The Basis of a Bonne Affaire * III. Juggling Editions * The Second Edition * The Origins of the Third Edition * Imbroglios * The Neuchatel Imprint * Opening Gambits of the Final Negotiations * Duel by Lettre Ostensible * The Last Turn of the Screw * The Contract * IV. Piracy and Trade War * Pirate Raids * The Octavo Publishers and Their Encyclopedie * The Origins of the Quarto--Octavo War * The Final Failure of Diplomacy * Open War * Pourparlers for Peace * A Drole de Paix * V. Bookmaking * Strains on the Production System * Procuring Paper * Copy * Recruiting Workers * Setting Wages * Pacing Work and Managing Labor * Printing: Technology and the Human Element * VI. Diffusion * Managerial Problems and Polemics * Marketing * Booksellers * Prices and Consumers * The Sales Pattern * Subscribers, A Case Study * Diffusion in France * Diffusion Outside France * Reading * VII. Settling Accounts * The Hidden Schism of 1778 * A Preliminary Reglement de Comples * The Feud Between Duplain and the STN * Marketing Maneuvers * The Perrin Affair * The Anatomy of a Swindle * The Final Confrontation in Lyons * Denouement * Epilogue * VIII. The Ultimate Encyclopedie * The Origins of the Encyclopedie Methodique * The Climactic Moment in Enlightenment Publishing * The Liegeois Settlement * Panckoucke's Conception of the Supreme Encyclopedie * Panckoucke as an Editor * The Authors of the Methodique * Two Generations of Encyclopedists * From Voltairianism to Professionalism * Launching the Biggest Book of the Century * IX. Encyclopedism, Capitalism, and Revolution * Panckoucke 's Folly * From Encyclopedism to Jacobinism * An Enlightenment Publisher in a Cultural Revolution * The Last of the Encyclopedists * X. Conclusion * The Production and Diffusion of Enlightenment * Enlightenment Publishing and the Spirit of Capitalism * The Encyclopedie and the State * The Cultural Revolution * Appendices * A. Contracts of the Encyclopedie Publishers, 1776--1780 * B. Subscriptions to the Quarto Encyclopedie * C. Incidence of Subscriptions in Major French Cities * D. Contributors to the Encyclopedie Methodique * Bibliographical Note * Index
- Author BiographyRobert Darnton is Carl H. Pforzheimer University Professor and University Librarian at Harvard University.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.