All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA comprehensive reassessment of this towering figure of twentieth-century music, examining works, cultural context and reception in Britain and beyond.
- Author BiographyAlain Frogley has taught at Oxford and Lancaster universities, and since 1994 at the University of Connecticut; in 2008 he was Visiting Professor at Yale University. In 2005-6 he was a Fellow of the American Council of Learned Societies. A specialist in the music of the late-nineteenth and twentieth centuries, particularly that of Britain and America, he has also worked extensively on Beethoven. His research has centered on sketch studies, reception history and musical nationalism; his most recent work explores music and the modern city. Frogley is the editor of Vaughan Williams Studies (1996) and the author of Vaughan Williams's Ninth Symphony (2001); he has also contributed to the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians and the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Aidan J. Thomson taught at the universities of Oxford and Leeds before being appointed Lecturer in Music at Queen's University Belfast in 2003. His main research interests are the music and culture of early twentieth-century Britain and Ireland, particularly the relationship between reception, criticism and analysis. His publications include articles and book chapters on Elgar (in 19th-Century Music, The Cambridge Companion to Elgar, Edward Elgar and His World, Elgar Studies, and Musical Quarterly), Ethel Smyth and Arnold Bax. He has served on the councils of the Royal Musical Association, the North American British Music Studies Association, and the Society for Musicology in Ireland, and is currently the reviews editor of the Journal of the Society for Musicology in Ireland.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication14/11/2013
- GenreMusic & Dance
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to Music
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note47 music examples
- Weight750 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAidan J. Thomson,Alain Frogley
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in The Arts
Save on The Arts
- £13.74Trending at £16.65
- £13.11Trending at £13.46
- £5.35Trending at £6.01
- £10.99Trending at £20.12
- £18.33Trending at £24.10
- £14.76Trending at £17.33
- £4.32Trending at £4.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.