Best-selling in Philosophy
Save on Philosophy
- £32.42Trending at £35.00
- £6.54Trending at £7.95
- £23.38Trending at £24.99
- £23.03Trending at £24.29
- £14.77Trending at £18.99
- £6.44Trending at £6.99
- £9.76Trending at £9.97
About this product
- DescriptionBringing together contributions from leading experts, and offering much-needed insight, this book analyses historical problems in the use of mathematics in physics, the use of physics in mathematics and the emergence of the discipline of Mathematical Physics.
- Author BiographyEvelyne Barbin (France, 1949), full professor of epistemology, history of science and technology at the University of Nantes. Her research concerns mainly: history of mathematics in 17th century (the emergence of infinitesimal calculus; relations between physics, technics and mathematics); the meaning of mathematical proof in history, research on mathematics and the sciences in the 19th century (the contrast between synthetic and analytic geometry; the heritage of Monge and Carnot in France; discourses on science and discourses on sciences in the 19th century), history of algorithms and machines, relations between history and teaching. She is author of about 100 papers and 20 edited books. Recent books: La revolution mathematique du XVIIe siecle, Paris: Ellipses, 2006; Sciences et arts visuels. Representations du corps et materiaux de l'art (ed. E. Barbin, D. Le Nen,), Paris: Vuibert, 2009; 1867 L'annee de tous les Rapports. Les lettres et les sciences a la fin du Second Empire (ed. E. Barbin, J.-L. Godet, G. Stenger), Pornic: Editions du Temps, 2009; Gabriel Lame. Les peregrinations d'un ingenieur du XIXe siecle (ed. E. Barbin) Paris: Sabix, Ecole Polytechnique, 2009. De grands defis mathematiques d'Euclide a Condorcet (ed. E. Barbin), Paris:Vuibert, 2010. Raffaele Pisano (Italy, 1970), lauream in physics (University of Naples Federico II ), specialized in teaching both physics and mathematics (University of Naples Federico II ), and a Ph.D. (University of Rome La Sapienza ). He was temporary professor of history of physics at (SSIS, University of Udine) and since 2006 he is currently Member of steering committee of European Society for the History of Science. He recently edited: Scienze e Religioni. Il ruolo delle scienze naturali, ipotesi di studio e prospettive (Uniservice editore, 2008, with Rafael Pascual), Qual e il ruolo culturale ed interdisciplinare delle scienze fisiche e matematiche? Ipotesi e prospettive, (2010. Laveglia, Salerno); Da Archimede a Majorana: La fisica nel suo divenire. Atti del XXVI Congresso SISFA, (Guaraldi, 2009, with Giannetto E., Giannini G. and Capecchi D.). He published papers for international and national reviews on history of physics, mathematics and their historical foundations. Recent books: Scienza e tecnica nell'architettura del Rinascimento, (Cisu, 2010, with Danilo Capecchi). Lazare and Sadi Carnot. A scientific and Filial relationship, (Springer, 2012,with Charles C Gillispie). Currently he is Research Fellow at Centre Francois Viete, Universite de Nantes, France.
- Date of Publication02/04/2013
- Series TitleHistory of Mechanism and Machine Science
- Series Part/Volume Number16
- Place of PublicationDordrecht
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Note7 black & white illustrations, 3 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight462 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Edited byE. Barbin,Evelyne Barbin,Raffaele Pisano
- Edition Statement2013 ed.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.