Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- £2.67+ £4.99 P&P
- New condition
- Sold by diabetic_ninja
- See details for delivery est.
- £2.38+ £3.49 P&P
- Very Good condition
- Sold by dvddemon
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCelebrated painter and filmmaker Julian Schnabel's third feature finds him reaching new artistic heights with this audacious and personal biopic, based on the best-selling memoir of the same name. The film tells the remarkable tale of Jean-Dominique Bauby (Mathieu Amalric), the world-renowned editor of French ELLE magazine, who suffered a stroke and was paralyzed by the inexplicable 'locked in' syndrome at the age of 43. Bauby's only way of communicating with the outside world was by blinking with one eye, and after several dedicated helpers--a string of impossibly beautiful women (Emmanuelle Seigner, Marie-Josee Croze, Olatz Lopez Garamendia, Anne Consigny)--helped him to speak through this seemingly irrelevant gesture, he began to produce the words that would form his memoir. Along the way, as he swam in and out of consciousness, memories from his past swelled into the present, resulting in a cinematic experience that is at once heartbreaking and hopeful.<BR>Schnabel somehow manages to convey Bauby's internal life with remarkable clarity, employing first-person perspective, striking cinematography (by the always great Janusz Kaminski), and Amalric's pained, life-affirming monologues. The result is a wholly original experience, a painful and tender portrait of a life that is made all the more exhilarating because of its close proximity to death.
- Leading Role 1Mathieu Amalric
- Director 1Julian Schnabel
- Leading Role 2Emmanuelle Seigner
- Leading Role 3Marie-Josee Croze
- Additional Roles byMax Von Sydow,Isaach De Bankole,Jean-Pierre Cassell,Nicolas Le Riche,Patrick Chesnais,Anne Consigny,Emma De Caunes,Jean-Philippe Watkins,Marina Hands,Lopez Garmendia
- Release FormatDVD
- Release Year2008
- Additional GenreGeneral
- Running Time112 minutes
Most relevant reviews
- dexterdentist04 Nov, 2013by
i wanted to buy and show this film my children. the film amazing. highly recommended. the story absolutely extraordinary about life experience of the Jan Bauby after stroke.he had lock in syndrome very rare in nobody does not know how to cure this syndrome.he manage not just adapt to this new life but also he start writing his book. despite being paralyzed from neck to his toes. this is true story of the real person. what make even more amazing. that every thing is described was part of somebody's life
- smidoid10 Oct, 2011by
Hellish, provocative a must watch for students of film
A difficult watch brilliantly executed. A terrific script with heavyweight support from Max Von Sydow - with a personal and moving comment from Mathieu Amalric on the shaving scene.
- sewdifferentdes...02 Apr, 2011by
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly DVD
Purchased this item to help myself and family members understand what a person goes through after suffering a stroke - something we have recently experienced as a family. It has helped and I would recommend to anyone experiencing the same as it gives an insight not only to the patient but also those who care
- 942354843@delet...06 Oct, 2010by
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
A wonderfully poignant film, (very similar to the book upon which it was based), should be compulsory viewing for everyone! Simply marvellous and extremely moving.
- 948377299@delet...30 Jun, 2010by
i luv the realness of the film. every1 should buy the book and dvd as it shows how ur life can b 1 thing and turn in2 another the next also it brings a sense of worth living.
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-rays
Save on DVDs & Blu-rays
- £5.90Trending at £9.71
- £16.85Trending at £19.49
- £8.85Trending at £13.98
- £5.90Trending at £6.35
- £5.94Trending at £10.00
- £4.95Trending at £5.35
- £19.08Trending at £20.66