Best-selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £5.49Trending at £9.99
- £33.99Trending at £37.90
- £5.06Trending at £6.00
- £16.82Trending at £23.98
- £8.30Trending at £15.98
- £14.49Trending at £20.01
- £9.66Trending at £14.59
About this product
- Author(s)Marjolein t'Hart
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/02/2014
- GenreHistory: World & General
- Series TitleModern Wars in Perspective
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note4 black & white illustrations, 14 black & white tables
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Table Of ContentsTimeline of major events. Introduction - The Dutch Revolt, the Military Revolution, and the global context. Chapter 1 - Military events: from the Dutch Revolt to 'la Guerre de Hollande', c. 1570-c.1680. Chapter 2 - The making of a professional army. Chapter 3 - The Dutch 'Schoole of War': drill, tactics, and siege warfare. Chapter 4 - Garrisons and civic communities: strengthening the local bonds. Chapter 5 - Warfare in the countryside and the threat to farming communities. Chapter 6 - Admiralties, privateers and the colonial connection. Chapter 7 - War and the strength of Dutch public finance. Chapter 8 - Warfare's new economic opportunities. Conclusion: The advantages of military discipline and commercialized warfare. Bibliography.
- Author BiographyMarjolein 't Hart is head of the research department on the history of the Netherlands at the Huygens Institute (Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences) in The Hague and Professor History of State Formation in Global Perspective at VU University Amsterdam. She has published extensively on the early modern history of the Netherlands (in comparative perspective), including books on warfare and state formation (1993) and financial history (1997).
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.