All listings for this product
About this product
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication04/11/2016
- GenreLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2014
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note9 color illus. 2 halftones. 18 line illus.
- Weight457 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byGary Marcus,Jeremy Freeman
- Table Of ContentsList of Contributors ix Preface Gary Marcus and Jeremy Freeman xi MAPPING THE BRAIN Building Atlases of the Brain 3 Mike Hawrylycz with Chinh Dang, Christof Koch, and Hongkui Zeng Whole Brain Neuroimaging and Virtual Reality 17 Misha B. Ahrens Project MindScope 25 Christof Koch with Clay Reid, Hongkui Zeng, Stefan Mihalas, Mike Hawrylycz, John Philips, Chinh Dang, and Allan Jones The Connectome as a DNA Sequencing Problem 40 Anthony Zador Rosetta Brain 50 George Church with Adam Marblestone and Reza Kalhor COMPUTATION Understanding the Cortex through Grid Cells 67 May-Britt Moser and Edvard I. Moser Recording from Many Neurons Simultaneously: From Measurement to Meaning 78 Krishna V. Shenoy Network Neuroscience 90 Olaf Sporns Large-Scale Neuroscience: From Analytics to Insight 100 Jeremy Freeman SIMULATING THE BRAIN Whole Brain Simulation 111 Sean Hill Building a Behaving Brain 125 Chris Eliasmith LANGUAGE The Neurobiology of Language 139 David Poeppel Translating the Genome in Human Neuroscience 149 Simon E. Fisher Color plates follow p. 160 SKEPTICS Consciousness, Big Science, and Conceptual Clarity 161 Ned Block From Circuits to Behavior: A Bridge Too Far? 177 Matteo Carandini Lessons from Evolution 186 Leah Krubitzer Lessons from the Genome 194 Arthur Caplan with Nathan Kunzler The Computational Brain 205 Gary Marcus IMPLICATIONS Neurotechnology 219 John Donoghue The Miswired Brain, Genes, and Mental Illness 234 Kevin J. Mitchell Neural Dust: An Untethered Approach to Chronic Brain-Machine Interfaces 243 Michel M. Maharbiz with Dongjin Seo, Jose M. Carmena, Jan M. Rabaey, and Elad Alon AFTERWORD Neuroscience in 2064: A Look at the Last Century 255 Christof Koch and Gary Marcus Glossary 271 Index 275
- Author BiographyGary Marcus is professor of psychology and neural science at New York University. His books include Guitar Zero: The Science of Becoming Musical at Any Age and Kluge: The Haphazard Evolution of the Human Mind. Jeremy Freeman is a neuroscientist at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Janelia Farm Research Campus.
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £24.44Trending at £26.04
- £23.12Trending at £34.99
- £10.01Trending at £10.67
- £24.23Trending at £25.25
- £17.16Trending at £22.74
- £4.99Trending at £6.16
- £18.99Trending at £33.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.