All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt's January, 1946, and writer Juliet Ashton sits at her desk, vainly seeking a subject for her next book. Out of the blue, she receives a letter from one Dawsey Adams of Guernsey - by chance, he's acquired a secondhand book that once belonged to Juliet - and, spurred on by their mutual love of Charles Lamb, they begin a correspondence.
- Author BiographyMARY ANN SHAFFER was born in 1934 in Martinsburg, West Virginia. She became interested in Guernsey while visiting London in 1976. On a whim, she decided to fly to Guernsey but became stranded there as a heavy fog descended and no boats or planes were permitted to leave the island. As she waited for the fog to clear, she came across a book called Jersey Under the Jack-Boot, and so her fascination with the Channel Isles began. Many years later, when goaded by her own literary club to write a book, Mary Ann naturally thought of Guernsey. Mary Ann died in February 2008. She knew that this, her only novel, was to be published in thirteen countries.
- PrizesShort-listed for Independent Booksellers' Week Book of the Year Award: Adults' Book of the Year 2009.
- Author(s)Annie Barrows,Mary Ann Shaffer
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication04/08/2008
- GenreGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Out-of-print date15/01/2009
- Content Notemap
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
Most relevant reviews
- jezzajay2123 Jun, 2011by
A great story
I was lent this by a friend and loved it so much I just had to buy my own copy and I've also bought one for a friend to take on holiday. A good read and a good story.
Best-selling in General & Literary Fiction
Save on General & Literary Fiction
- £4.89Trending at £6.81
- £4.89Trending at £8.98
- £13.80Trending at £16.89
- £12.33Trending at £16.54
- £4.50Trending at £7.98
- £4.66Trending at £7.98
- £4.59Trending at £8.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.