All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBased on the best-selling novel by Gary Brandner, this horror film makes effective use of the classic werewolf tale. Dee Wallace stars as Karen White, a popular female reporter in Los Angeles who cannot escape the horror of a traumatic experience that she suffered while trying to capture Eddie Quist (Robert Ricardo), a dangerous serial killer. When her psychologist (Patrick Macnee) recommends a retreat to "The Colony," up the Northern California coast, she reluctantly agrees, hoping to recover from her nightmarish visions. Karen and her husband (Christopher Stone) arrive at the remote retreat and are shocked at the bizarre behavior of the motley crew of residents. Lurking in the ominous Northern California woods, blanketed by fog, strange sounds can be heard at night, luring the members of the retreat into the forest. In anguish, Karen stumbles on the deadly secret of the community: when sexually excited, they turn into werewolves! The horrified journalist tries to escape from the retreat, battling the lair of leering lycanthropes in a fight for her life. Superb special effects add to the picture, with several shocking human-to-monster transformation sequences.
- Leading Role 1Dee Wallace
- Director 1Joe Dante
- Leading Role 2Patrick Macnee
- Leading Role 3Dennis Dugan
- Additional Roles byJohn Carradine,Slim Pickens,Kevin McCarthy,Christopher Stone,Elisabeth Brooks
- ProducerMichael Finnell,Jack Conrad
- ScreenwriterTerence H. Winkless,John Sayles
- EditorJoe Dante,Mark Goldblatt
- Release FormatDVD
- Release Year2004
- Additional GenreGeneral
- Running Time87 minutes
Most relevant reviews
- dianelove2buy23 Nov, 2011by
its a classic collection but but compaired with nowadays films their is not much horror but still worth getting
- 1027478682@dele...31 Oct, 2010by
The transformation effects stayed in my mind, very well done. The beginning is scary and, as werewolf films go, I suppose this is one of the best known, and will remain a classic.
- aii_cthulhu_fht...02 Jul, 2008by
The Howling (DVD 2004)
This is the essential werewolf movie, great acting, brilliant story, amazing werewolves, if you don't have this in your horror collection you are missing out! Great DVD and good extras on the disk.
- 1973blob06 Oct, 2006by
The Howling (2004)
This is one great claassic film. Its 'old school' horror which is why I love it, brought out around the same time as An American Werewolf in London its so different! Needing a break after a trumatising time a couple take the advise by their doctor to go away for a while to the docs retreat in the middle of nowhere! Soon as they arrive you can just tell something is 'wrong with the folks'. And when The Howling is heard in the middle of the night wouldnt you go home at first light?! It keeps you on the edge of your seat with loads of jumps and times when you shout 'dont go in there, whats the matter with you!!?' The effects are as classic as the film with a great strong story line and an ending you would not predict it cant be beat. Try to imagine being one of the viewers watching the news at the end of the film, would you believe.......? Ten out of ten a truly must see for any classic horror film fans. Read full review
- thespaniard6710 Sep, 2006by
A classic horror movie!
Severely shaken after a near-fatal encounter with a serial killer, TV newscaster Karen White (Dee Wallace-Stone) takes some much-needed time off. Hoping to conquer her inner demons, she heads for the 'Colony', a secluded retreat where her new neighbors are just a tad too eager to make her feel at home. Also, there seems to be a bizarre link between her would-be attacker and this supposedly safe haven. And when, after nights of being tormented by savage shrieks and unearthly cries, Karen ventures into the forest to find answers, she makes a terrifying discovery. Now she must fight not only for her life but for her very soul!
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-rays
Save on DVDs & Blu-rays
- £3.78Trending at £4.46
- £9.85Trending at £10.44
- £5.99Trending at £6.89
- £26.49Trending at £47.50
- £2.80Trending at £3.80
- £9.50Trending at £12.99
- £6.95Trending at £7.12