All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCombining extensive interviews with his own experience as an inmate, this book constructs a powerful and graphic description of the big-city jail. It argues that rather than controlling the disreputable, jail disorients and degrades these people, indoctrinating new recruits to the rabble class.
- Author BiographyJohn Irwin (1929 - 2010) was known internationally as an expert in the American prison system. He earned his Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of California Berkeley and taught as a professor at San Francisco State University. He is the author of The Felon (UC Press), Scenes, Prisons in Turmoil, It's About Time: America's Imprisonment Binge (with James Austin), Lifers: Seeking Redemption in Prison and The Warehouse Prison: Disposal of the New Dangerous Class.
- Author(s)John Irwin
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication14/09/2013
- GenreSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Weight32 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Foreword byProfessor Jonathan Simon
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Society & Education
Save on Society & Education
- £14.31Trending at £15.68
- £28.65Trending at £29.99
- £26.11Trending at £28.79
- £19.77Trending at £21.59
- £25.68Trending at £27.85
- £7.94Trending at £10.99
- £23.71Trending at £26.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.