Best-selling in Adult Learning & University
Save on Adult Learning & University
- £15.08Trending at £15.66
- £17.29Trending at £28.12
- £23.56Trending at £40.17
- £11.91Trending at £20.08
- £15.17Trending at £24.10
- £8.63Trending at £16.54
- £17.28Trending at £22.32
About this product
- DescriptionBased on research from Norway, the author identifies three main themes for analysis: firstly, by focusing on the perceived relationship between biology and sociality; secondly, it is understanding of 'the best interest of the child'; and thirdly, it shows how transnational adoption depends upon and helps to foster Western rationality and morality.
- Author BiographySigne Howell is professor of Social Anthropology at the University of Oslo. She obtained her D.Phil. from the University of Oxford and has been a lecturer in the Department of Social Anthropology at the University of Edinburgh. Before she began her research on transnational adoption (1999), her studies were focused on Southeast Asia where she has carried out fieldwork amongst a hunter-gatherer group in Malaysia and a group of settled agriculturalists in Eastern Indonesia. She has published widely on various aspects of social organization, religion, ritual and kinship. Her books include Society and Cosmos: Chewong of Peninsular Malaysia; Chewong Myths and Legends; Societies at Peace: Anthropological Perspectives (edited with Roy Willis); The Ethnography of Moralities; For the Sake of our Future: Sacrificing in Eastern Indonesia; The House in Southeast Asia (edited with Stephen Sparkes). She has also published a number of articles in books and journals on the topic of transnational adoption.
- Author(s)Signe Howell
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication01/03/2007
- GenreSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight374 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.