All listings for this product
Best-selling in Society & Education
Save on Society & Education
- £27.52Trending at £27.96
- £26.61Trending at £27.96
- £25.66Trending at £27.96
- £23.42Trending at £30.08
- £19.28Trending at £20.74
- £17.29Trending at £22.25
- £17.73Trending at £18.10
About this product
- DescriptionBased on several years of ethnographic fieldwork, the book explores life in and around a Luo-speaking village in western Kenya during a time of death. The epidemic of HIV/AIDS affects every aspect of sociality and pervades villagers' debates about the past, the future and the ethics of everyday life.
- Author BiographyPaul Wenzel Geissler teaches social anthropology at the University of Oslo and at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. He studied medical zoology in Hamburg and Copenhagen (Ph.D. 1998) and social anthropology in Copenhagen and Cambridge (Ph.D. 2003). Since 1993 he has worked in western Kenya, conducting first medical research and then several years of ethnographic fieldwork. Currently he is writing an ethnography of post-colonial scientific research in Kisumu, Kenya. After studying social anthropology in London and Copenhagen, Ruth Jane Prince is presently Smuts Fellow at the Centre of African Studies, University of Cambridge. She has conducted ethnographic fieldwork in western Kenya since 1997 focusing on medical anthropology, kinship and Christianity. Her current research deals with HIV interventions and antiretroviral treatment programmes in Kenya, and related issues of global health, the political-economy of knowledge, transnationalism and the state.
- Author(s)Paul Wenzel Geissler,Ruth Jane Prince
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication06/12/2012
- GenreSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleEpistemologies of Healing
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 5
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight591 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.