All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe story of Abelard and Heloise remains one of the world's most celebrated and tragic love affairs. This title follows the path of their romance from its reckless and ecstatic beginnings when Heloise became Abelard's pupil, through the suffering of public scandal and enforced secret marriage, to their eventual separation.
- Author BiographyPeter Abelard was a French philosopher and the greatest logician of the 12th century. He taught in Paris, where Heloise was his pupil. After the tragic end of their marriage, she became a nun & he a monk. Betty Radice was the editor of the Penguin Classics during the 1960-70s & an acclaimed translator from Latin, Greek & Italian. Michael Clanchy researches at the Institute of Historical Research UCL & the Warburg Institute.
- Author(s)Abbess of the Paraclete Heloise,Peter Abelard
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication27/11/2003
- GenreBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content Notefurther reading, notes, maps, index
- Weight281 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Translated byLate Betty Radice
- Introduction byMichael T. Clanchy
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £3.69Trending at £3.80
- £12.88Trending at £16.19
- £14.56Trending at £16.20
- £9.97Trending at £10.37
- £8.24Trending at £11.34
- £61.04Trending at £83.99
- £8.95Trending at £15.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.