About this product
- DescriptionChristian Bale delivers one of cinema's most sacrificial performances in Brad Anderson's mesmerising thriller. Written by Scott Kosar (2003's THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE), THE MACHINIST takes place in a bleak and nondescript American city, where Trevor Reznick (Bale) is quite literally withering away to nothing. During the day Trevor works in a colourless industrial factory, while at night he seeks refuge in the bed of a tender prostitute, Stevie (Jennifer Jason Leigh). For reasons unknown even to Trevor, he hasn't been able to sleep for an entire year. In the process, he has shed over sixty pounds, making him look like a walking skeleton. After an accident at the factory costs Trevor his job, he finds himself tracking a mysterious figure that may or may not, in fact, provide some answers to his confusion. Meanwhile, he begins to connect with a pretty airport waitress, Marie (Aitana Sanchez-Gijon), who shows Trevor some much-needed sympathy. By the time the film builds to its revelatory conclusion, it becomes quite clear just what has been tormenting Trevor all along. Anderson and Kosar's vision is brought to spectacular life by cinematographer Xavi Gimenez and composer Roque Banos, whose haunting atmospherics recall the best work of Alfred Hitchcock. And then, of course, there is Bale, whose performance is as terrifying, brave, and devastating as the screen has ever seen.
- Leading Role 1Christian Bale
- Director 1Brad Anderson
- Leading Role 2Jennifer Jason Leigh
- Leading Role 3Aitana Sanchez-Gijon
- Additional Roles byMichael Ironside,John Sharian
- ProducerJulio Fernandez
- ScreenwriterScott Kosar
- Release FormatDVD
- Release Year2005
- Additional GenrePsychological
- Subtitle LanguagesNone
- Running Time98 minutes
Most relevant reviews
- nubatrekman6909 Feb, 2011by
Totally awesome movie. Christian Bale is the man!!!!
Christian Bale is a brilliant actor & what he did 2 his body 2 make this movie was unbelievable. In just 6 months after this movie was completed he started on the blockbuster Batman begins & the physical transformation has 2b seen 2b believed! Even if u aren't a bale fan watch this intense thiller 'cos it's just amazing! 10/10
- 897301892@delet...07 Apr, 2009by
Makes you think and debate.
Gripping. Second time i've seen it and amazes me the intensity and brilliance of acting and photography.
- darth-mental07 Jul, 2006by
A first-class, edge of the seat, totally involving thriller, that both looks and feels more Hitchcock than modern day. Dark, captivating and so involving that I can't bear to spoil it for anyone. Just watch this and i'm sure you will be thinking about it for days after.
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-rays
Save on DVDs & Blu-rays
- £12.99Trending at £13.23
- £4.66Trending at £4.75
- £32.99Trending at £33.73
- £3.59Trending at £4.00
- £15.99Trending at £17.09
- £25.95Trending at £30.06
- £14.99Trending at £15.46