All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Alison Bashford,Joyce E. Chaplin
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication26/04/2016
- GenreSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note12 halftones. 2 tables.
- Weight657 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Table Of ContentsIllustrations vii Tables vii Introduction 1 Part I: Population and the New World 1 Population, Empire, and America 17 2 Writing the Essay 54 Part II: New Worlds in the Essay, c. 1803 3 New Holland 91 4 The Americas 116 5 The South Sea 146 Part III: Malthus and the New World, 1803- 1834 6 Slavery and Abolition 171 7 Colonization and Emigration 201 8 The Essay in New Worlds 237 Coda 276 Acknowledgments 285 Abbreviations 287 Notes 289 Bibliography 317 Index 345
- Author BiographyAlison Bashford is the Vere Harmsworth Professor of Imperial and Naval History at the University of Cambridge and a fellow of Jesus College. Her books include Global Population: History, Geopolitics, and Life on Earth. Joyce E. Chaplin is the James Duncan Phillips Professor of Early American History at Harvard University. Her books include The First Scientific American: Benjamin Franklin and the Pursuit of Genius.
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £4.55Trending at £4.82
- £25.99Trending at £26.34
- £22.57Trending at £23.39
- £10.30Trending at £10.51
- £3.60Trending at £6.98
- £6.29Trending at £10.14
- £9.97Trending at £12.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.