All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Joel Schumachers psychological thriller THE NUMBER 23, Jim Carrey takes on another dramatic role. Carreys character is similar to his roles in THE TRUMAN SHOW and ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND: he portrays an average man thrust into quite extraordinary situations after a series of strange events cause him to question everything hes ever taken for granted. On his birthday, Walter Sparrow is given a mysterious and tattered book called THE NUMBER 23 by his loving wife, Agatha (Virginia Madsen). As Walter reads the book, he quickly notices its alarming similarities to his own life. Rather than stop reading, he continues, unknowingly inviting the book to take over his life. The deeper Walter gets into the plot, the more he sees himself in its protagonist, Fingerling, whom we see through highly stylized sequences in which Carrey appears as the seedy detective character. Madsen is also present in these scenes, cast as Fingerlings pain-loving girlfriend Fabrizia. As Fingerling and Fabrizias love affair inches towards its fiery conclusion, we learn the role the number 23 has played in their story and will play in Walters future if he cannot keep his growing obsession with it at bay. While Carrey and Madsen are adept at playing a man gone mad and a headstrong wife in crisis, they are most fascinating as their dark counterparts, and Schumacher succeeds in creating a truly intoxicating noirish underworld of sex and death through those sequences.
- Leading Role 1Virginia Madsen
- Director 1Joel Schumacher
- Leading Role 2Danny Huston
- Leading Role 3Jim Carrey
- Additional Roles byRhona Mitra
- Release FormatDVD
- Release Year2007
- Additional GenreGeneral
- Running Time94 minutes
Most relevant reviews
- 349133299cac85e...10 Nov, 2011by
Amazing film it has to be one of the best if not the best film ive ever watched, jim carrey plays his role amazingly. i would 100% tell someone to buy this A-MAZ-ING!
- badgersbullies23 Apr, 2011by
The Number 23 (DVD)
Excellent film well worth the money ............................................................................
- kams_gran09 Apr, 2008by
I,VE ONLY EVER WATCHED JIM CARREY IN MOVIES THAT ARE COMDEY, AT FIRST WATCHING HIM I WAS EXPECTING HIM TO PULL SOME GOOFY FACE..BUT HE DID PULL IT OFF VERY WELL AND DONE A GREAT JOB.. THE PLOT ITS SELF LOST ME ABIT AND WAS A LITTLE LONG WINDED IT WAS AN OKAY FILM, I,VE WATCHED WORSE BUT IT DID MAKE ME START WORKING OUT SUMS AND GETTING THE NUMBER 23..FREAKY!!!
- ms.captainmorga...31 Mar, 2008by
THE NUMBER 23
I bought this dvd on ebay for 99p bargain!! Jim Carrey plays Walter Sparrow, a normal family guy with an average job, or is he? A very convincing roll (although his silly voice does slip out occasionally)in this mind-bending psychological thriller. I had to concentrate on the story as like most good thrillers plenty of twists! All in all a great watch for anyone who likes the unusual with not much gore.
- layland5226 Mar, 2008by
Great story, kept me gripped till the end
Like to see Jim Carrey in serious roles, he is excellent in this. Well worth a watch. The story had me hooked from the beginning.
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-rays
Save on DVDs & Blu-rays
- £6.00Trending at £11.95
- £3.99Trending at £4.49
- £10.99Trending at £17.92
- £4.34Trending at £5.62
- £26.49Trending at £39.85
- £10.44Trending at £14.57
- £12.99Trending at £21.92