All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £10.20Trending at £10.97
- £4.55Trending at £4.82
- £25.99Trending at £26.34
- £22.57Trending at £23.39
- £10.30Trending at £10.51
- £3.60Trending at £6.28
- £6.29Trending at £10.14
About this product
- Author(s)Sir Karl Popper
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication21/04/2013
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Weight1077 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Introduction byAlan Ryan
- Edition StatementNew One-Volume edition with a New introduction by Alan Ryan and an essay by E. H. Gombrich
- Table Of ContentsINTRODUCTION BY ALAN RYAN ix'PERSONAL RECOLLECTIONS OF THE PUBLICATION OF THE OPEN SOCIETY ' BY E.H. GOMBRICH xxiiiACKNOWLEDGEMENTS xxxvPREFACE TO THE FIRST EDITION xxxviiPREFACE TO THE SECOND EDITION xxxixAUTHOR'S INTRODUCTION xliVOLUME I: THE SPELL OF PLATO 1The Myth of Origin and Destiny 51 Historicism and the Myth of Destiny 72 Heraclitus 103 Plato's Theory of Forms or Ideas 17Plato's Descriptive Sociology 334 Change and Rest 355 Nature and Convention 55Plato's Political Programme 816 Totalitarian Justice 837 The Principle of Leadership 1148 The Philosopher King 1309 Aestheticism, Perfectionism, Utopianism 147The Background of Plato's Attack 15910 The Open Society and Its Enemies 161Addenda (1957, 1961, 1965) 190VOLUME II: THE HIGH TIDE OF PROPHECY 213The Rise of Oracular Philosophy 21711 The Aristotelian Roots of Hegelianism 21912 Hegel and the New Tribalism 242Marx's Method 29113 Marx's Sociological Determinism 29314 The Autonomy of Sociology 30115 Economic Historicism 31116 The Classes 32117 The Legal and the Social System 327Marx's Prophecy 34318 The Coming of Socialism 34519 The Social Revolution 35520 Capitalism and Its Fate 37321 An Evaluation of the Prophecy 397Marx's Ethics 40322 The Moral Theory of Historicism 405The Aftermath 41723 The Sociology of Knowledge 41924 Oracular Philosophy and the Revolt against Reason 430Conclusion 46325 Has History Any Meaning? 465Addenda (1961, 1965) 485NOTES 512NOTES TO VOLUME I 514NOTES TO VOLUME II 640INDEX 735
- Author BiographyKarl Popper (1902-1994) was one of the most important philosophers of the twentieth century. His books include The Logic of Scientific Discovery, The Poverty of Historicism, Conjectures and Refutations, and an autobiography, Unended Quest. He was a professor at the London School of Economics.
- PrizesWinner of Modern Library's 100 best nonfiction books of the twentieth century (United States).
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.