All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKitty Fane is the beautiful but shallow wife of Walter. Unsatisfied by her marriage, she starts an affair with Charles Townsend, whom she finds charming, attractive and exciting. But when Walter discovers her deception, he exacts a strange but terrible vengeance. This is the story of a woman's spiritual awakening.
- Author BiographyWilliam Somerset Maugham, famous as novelist, playwright and short-story writer, was born in 1874, and lived in Paris until he was ten. He was educated at King's School, Canterbury, and at Heidelberg University. He spent some time at St. Thomas' Hospital with a view to practising medicine, but left to focus exclusively on writing. In 1927, he settled in the south of France, and lived there until his death in 1965.
- Author(s)W. Somerset Maugham
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication01/03/2007
- GenreGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2008
- Out-of-print date01/11/2011
- Weight122 g
- Width112 mm
- Height179 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementMedia tie-in
Most relevant reviews
- camerondaniel05 Jul, 2016by
A poignant story - not fast paced but beautifully written,
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- maylin81004 May, 2015by
Good book. Great read
This book is about a middle class, spoilt, socialite Kitty who married Walter Fane to escape her overbearing mother and to ensure that she does not let her younger sister beat her to the altar. Whilst in Shanghai she embarked on an affair with the British Vice Counsel with disastrous consequences. After the affair the Fanes went to a cholera Steichen part of Chine. There the veil came down and Kitty and Walter discovered their love for each other. But unfortunately Walter died and Kitty returned to England with her unborn child. A GREAT READ.
- auntiegrapes07 Jan, 2015by
wonderful story telling!
Great story, beautifully written and told, not that I would expect anything less from this author. Couldn't put it down. Might have to buy the film version to compare.
Best-selling in General & Literary Fiction
Save on General & Literary Fiction
- £4.89Trending at £8.99
- £12.18Trending at £15.18
- £4.45Trending at £6.28
- £5.43Trending at £8.99
- £5.95Trending at £8.99
- £4.54Trending at £8.99
- £6.27Trending at £7.98