All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Adam T. Smith
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication07/07/2015
- Series TitleThe Rostovtzeff Lectures
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note25 halftones. 18 line illus. 1 table. 9 maps.
- Weight567 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Table Of ContentsPreface ix Introduction: Reverse Engineering the Polity 1 The Conditions of Sovereignty 4 Machine Politics 7 Bodies and Things 11 Into the Caucasus 16 Schematic 20 Part I: The Machinery of Sovereignty Chapter 1. On Assemblages and Machines 27 Things and Objects 29 The Exile of Things 33 Nature Morte 40 The Assemblage Assembled 43 The Efficacy of Machines 48 Sense, Sensibility, and Sentiment 54 Chapter 2. On The Matter of Sovereignty 59 Sovereignty Disassembled 61 Prehistory and the Political 64 Archaeologies of Sovereignty 67 Assembly and Assemblage 72 Origin Myths 73 Wayward Things and the Dual Sovereign 78 Exit Objects 1: Liberal Theory and Things 81 Exit Objects 2: Marx and Matter 83 Sovereign Matter, Governmental Machines 86 The Sovereign Conditions 91 Part II: Assembling Sovereignty Chapter 3. The Civilization Machine in the Early Bronze Age 97 The Kura-Araxes 102 Sensibility 105 Sense 110 Sentiment 122 An Early Bronze Age Public 125 Chapter 4. The War Machine in the Middle Bronze Age 127 The Caucasus in Transition 130 Sensibility 138 Sense 144 Sentiment 148 Territorialization and Contradiction 151 Chapter 5. The Political Machine in the Late Bronze Age 154 The Caucasus at the Beginning of the Late Bronze Age 157 Sensibility 165 Sense 171 Sentiment 178 The Enduring Political Machine 183 Conclusion 186 Erebuni-Yerevan 188 Brother Axe 194 References Cited 197 Index 233
- Author BiographyAdam T. Smith is professor of anthropology and chair of the Department of Anthropology at Cornell University. He is the author of The Political Landscape and the coauthor of The Archaeology and Geography of Ancient Transcaucasian Societies, Volume 1.
Best-selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £8.91Trending at £11.47
- £4.95Trending at £6.98
- £16.82Trending at £17.56
- £5.80Trending at £6.89
- £4.06Trending at £7.25
- £13.95Trending at £18.94
- £8.57Trending at £16.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.