All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Bernard Edwards
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication06/06/2002
- GenreMilitary History
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Out-of-print date28/12/2013
- Content NoteIllustrations, 1 port.
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Author BiographyCaptain Bernard Edwards spent 37 years at sea with the Merchant Navy commanding ships trading worldwide. On retirement he settled in South West Wales to pursue his second career as a Naval historian. His knowledge of the sea and ships has enabled him to write a series of internationally recognised works.
Most relevant reviews
- whou401819 Jan, 2017by
The Quiet Heroes. Our merchant seamen in WW2
This book covers only some of the bravery of our merchant seamen in WW2. It describes the horror of setting out on a journey where the chances of survival were very low and the possibility of a terrible death was very much odds on. It also conveys the neglect in providing protection for the men who enabled our survival and ultimate victory. No medals and an unobtrusive memorial, Read it and feel it, how sad.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- andjaz02 Jan, 2014by
Yes, they were heroes and largely forgotten!
Purchased to gain an understanding of the challenges met by the Merchant Navy. It achieved that objective by recounting many specific events that occurred in the Atlantic during the war. I am sure there other more detailed documents about this service but this was a nicely written starter from my point of view, and yes they were heroes.
Best-selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £10.11Trending at £14.49
- £15.01Trending at £16.65
- £13.77Trending at £19.98
- £31.44Trending at £52.14
- £11.27Trending at £18.00
- £12.58Trending at £18.95
- £10.67Trending at £16.50