All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe definitive guide to the origin of J.R.R. Tolkien's books, from The Hobbit to The History of Middle-earth series - includes unpublished Tolkien extracts and poetry.
- Author BiographyProfessor Tom Shippey taught at Oxford, overlapping chronologically with Professor Tolkien and teaching the same syllabus, giving him an intimate familiarity with the poems and the languages which formed the main stimulus to Tolkien's imagination. He subsequently held the same Chair of English Language and Medieval Literature at Leeds University which Tolkien held early in his career, and currently holds the Walter J. Ong Chair of Humanities at Saint Louis University, USA.
- Author(s)Tom Shippey
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication22/09/1992
- GenreBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHarperCollins Publishers Ltd
- Content NoteIndex
- Weight350 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,B-format paperback
- Edition StatementRevised Enlarged Third edition
Most relevant reviews
- pollen72105 Oct, 2013by
An intellectual insight
A very interesting look at the way Prof. Tolkien was inspired to write about Middle Earth. Some of the words I had to look up in a dictionary, I have to say, but on the whole a very readable treatise.
Best-selling in Biographies & True Stories
Save on Biographies & True Stories
- £7.89Trending at £9.09
- £4.75Trending at £4.83
- £20.06Trending at £22.92
- £12.30Trending at £13.51
- £4.45Trending at £6.56
- £13.80Trending at £20.55
- £10.30Trending at £12.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.