Best-selling in The Arts
Save on The Arts
- £52.63Trending at £53.70
- £5.35Trending at £5.46
- £22.74Trending at £23.30
- £7.00Trending at £7.15
- £17.24Trending at £17.61
- £10.79Trending at £14.99
- £7.99Trending at £8.13
About this product
- DescriptionHearing the symphonies and concertos of Haydn and Mozart with an ear tuned to operatic style, as their earliest listeners did, this book shows that this familiar music is built on a set of mimetic associations drawn from conventional modes of depicting character and emotion in opera buffa.
- Author BiographyWye Jamison Allanbrook was Professor of Music at the University of California, Berkeley, and author of Rhythmic Gesture in Mozart. Mary Ann Smart is Professor of Music at the University of California, Berkeley, and author of Mimomania: Music and Gesture in Nineteenth-Century Opera. Richard Taruskin is Professor of Music at the University of California, Berkeley, and author of many books on Russian and Western music, including the six-volume Oxford History of Western Music.
- Author(s)Wye Jamison Allanbrook
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication07/06/2014
- GenreMusic & Dance
- Series TitleErnest Bloch Lectures
- Series Part/Volume Number15
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note24 music examples
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byMary Ann Smart,Richard Taruskin
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.