All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)John Mullen
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/08/2015
- GenreMusic & Dance
- Series TitleAshgate Popular and Folk Music Series
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Weight502 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Derek B. Scott,Professor Lori Burns,Professor Stan Hawkins
- Table Of ContentsContents: Preface; Introduction: battles, society and entertainment; Portrait of an industry: producing popular music, 1914-1918; A star in focus 1: Harry Lauder - 'Scottish ambassador'?; A patchwork of genres; A star in focus 2: Vesta Tilley - the woman who played men; The songs and their content; A star in focus 3: Marie Lloyd - 'Our Marie'; 'If you were the only girl in the world': women, men and love in music-hall song; A star in focus 4: Harry Champion - 'the spirit of the poorer parts of London'; Songs about the war: elite voices and people's voices; 'I want to go home': soldiers' songs and other non-commercial songs; Conclusions; Appendix; Bibliography; Index.
- Author BiographyJohn Mullen is senior lecturer at the University of Paris-East Creteil. He has published widely on the history of British popular music. Articles include a reflection on 'ethnic' music festivals and immigrant identity (1960-2000), and a piece on racial stereotyping in music-hall songs from 1880 to 1920.
Best-selling in The Arts
Save on The Arts
- £22.32Trending at £25.05
- £66.16Trending at £92.21
- £8.66Trending at £10.34
- £13.63Trending at £14.16
- £22.22Trending at £23.53
- £19.56Trending at £26.19
- £16.22Trending at £20.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.