All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCompiled in the second century AD, this anthology includes poems, originating from the state of Chu and rooted in Shamanism, that are grouped under seventeen titles and contain all that we know of Chinese poetry's ancient beginnings.
- Author BiographyAlthough Chu Ci is an anthology of poems by many poets, Qu Yuan was doubtless its central figure. Jiu Ge ( Nine Songs ), also attributed to Qu Yuan, is the first example of what could be called shamanic literature in China. It is in remembrance of the circumstances of his death that the annual Dragon boat races are held. David Hawkes was Professor of Chinese at Oxford University from 1959 to 1971. From 1973 to 1983 he was a Research Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, and subsequently became an Emeritus Fellow. He died in Oxford on Friday 31 July 2009.
- Author(s)Yuan Qu,etc.
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication29/08/1985
- GenrePoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleClassics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Out-of-print date22/07/2011
- Content Notemaps
- Weight258 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byD. Hawkes
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Literature, Poetry & Criticism
Save on Literature, Poetry & Criticism
- £20.99Trending at £22.49
- £30.68Trending at £40.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.