All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWe've all heard of Live Aid, but what is the truth on the ground? What is it like to head a UN food convoy through Uganda and on up through the Sudan, a country torn by civil war for so many years?
- Author BiographyBorn in 1940 in Hackney East London, while my parents worked in the tailoring business, I was brought up by my immigrant grandmother, a Russian and Yiddish speaking women with incredible cooking skills. My schooldays were ones of un-accomplishment and at 15 I left to become a messenger for a famous Fleet Street picture Agency whose photographs taken by highly skilled cameramen appeared in Newspapers and magazines all over the World. My dear father bought me a camera, the type used by the agencies photographers, I was just 16 but became very skilled in using the camera and with the next year I was taking pictures of famous people, such as Royalty, the Queen Mother, actors such as Sophia Loren, Liz Taylor and Richard Burton, Prime Minister Harold Wilson and many other politicians. At the age of twenty I went to live in Berlin, the city was divided by a wire fence soon to become a wall between the western allies and the Russians, with escapes from the east to the west and all sorts of espionage going on. I was asked to join a small group of Military people and crossed over into East Berlin through Check Point Charlie virtually every day photographing certain installations, people getting into and out from cars showing the registration numbers, and many other complicated requests, in those days my skills got me through some scrapes, however one day I was held by the Volks Politzi while trying to cross back to the West, but I had managed to move the film on through an intermediary before being held and searched. At twenty-three after returning to England I joined a newspaper called the Daily Sketch owned by Associated Newspapers, then moved to the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday and spent the next 30 years as a photographer, and then the Picture Editor, finally retiring as an Associate Editor within the group.
- Author(s)Harvey Mann
- PublisherAustin Macauley Publishers
- Date of Publication31/08/2015
- GenreAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAustin Macauley Publishers
- Weight227 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Biographies & True Stories
Save on Biographies & True Stories
- £12.54Trending at £12.85
- £5.50Trending at £9.08
- £8.54Trending at £9.97
- £2.81Trending at £3.62
- £10.12Trending at £12.98
- £4.04Trending at £4.99
- £14.74Trending at £17.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.