The Worcester and Birmingham Canal when it was authorised by Act of Parliament, to 1815 when it was completed 24 years later. Although intended as a broad canal for barges and having five broad tunnels, it was eventually completed with narrow locks due to financial difficulties.
The author, the Revd. Alan White, is the Historian of the Worcester and Birmingham Canal Society. He was for many years Chaplain and Head of the Mathematics Department of Bromsgrove School and more recently served as Priest-in-Charge of Tardebigge Parish through which the canal runs. His research into the history of the canal has been undertaken, as time has allowed, over the past thirty years.