All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Eric H. Cline
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication07/03/2017
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2017
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note50 line illus. 2 maps.
- Weight936 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Illustrator(s)Glynnis Fawkes
- Table Of ContentsList of Illustrations vii Preface: A Petrified Monkey's Paw xi Prologue: Wonderful Things : King Tut and His Tomb 1 Part 1 Early Archaeology and Archaeologists 1 Ashes to Ashes in Ancient Italy 13 2 Digging Up Troy 24 3 From Egypt to Eternity 38 4 Mysteries in Mesopotamia 52 5 Exploring the Jungles of Central America 66 Digging Deeper 1: How Do You Know Where to Dig? 80 Part 2 Africa, Europe, and the Levant: Early Hominins to Farmers 6 Discovering Our Earliest Ancestors 97 7 First Farmers in the Fertile Crescent 115 Part 3 Excavating the Bronze Age Aegean 8 Revealing the First Greeks 131 9 Finding Atlantis? 146 10 Enchantment Under the Sea 157 Part 4 Uncovering the Classics 11 From Discus-Throwing to Democracy 171 12 What Have the Romans Ever Done for Us? 188 Digging Deeper 2: How Do You Know How to Dig? 204 Part 5 Discoveries in the Holy Land and Beyond 13 Excavating Armageddon 221 14 Unearthing the Bible 234 15 Mystery at Masada 245 16 Cities of the Desert 257 Digging Deeper 3: How Old Is This and Why Is It Preserved? 269 Part 6 New World Archaeology 17 Lines in the Sand, Cities in the Sky 291 18 Giant Heads, Feathered Serpents, and Golden Eagles 303 19 Submarines and Settlers; Gold Coins and Lead Bullets 314 Digging Deeper 4: Do You Get to Keep What You Find? 326 Epilogue: Back to the Future 333 Acknowledgments 341 Notes 343 Bibliography 383 Index 431
- Author BiographyEric H. Cline is professor of classics and anthropology and director of the Capitol Archaeological Institute at George Washington University. An active archaeologist, he has excavated and surveyed in Greece, Crete, Cyprus, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, and the United States. His many books include 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed (Princeton).
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £3.67Trending at £3.80
- £12.88Trending at £16.19
- £14.56Trending at £16.20
- £9.98Trending at £10.47
- £11.10Trending at £14.98
- £8.24Trending at £12.00
- £61.04Trending at £83.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.