All listings for this product
Best-selling in The Arts
Save on The Arts
- £35.21Trending at £37.98
- £24.52Trending at £35.69
- £14.99Trending at £26.94
- £17.51Trending at £18.54
- £7.90Trending at £8.23
- £16.20Trending at £19.99
- £16.25Trending at £19.07
About this product
- Author(s)Thorsten Botz-Bornstein
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/08/2015
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 62 b&w illustrations
- Weight636 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Table Of ContentsContents: Introduction: critical critical regionalism or from regionalism to transculturalism; Reima Pietila's Kuwait buildings revisited: about the limits of transcultural architecture; Empathy, abstraction, style, non-style: Reima Pietila's philosophy; 'Magic internationalism' or the paradox of globalization: Louis Kahn's National Assembly Complex in Dhaka, Bangladesh; Wang Shu and the possibilities of critical regionalism in China; When the monumental becomes decorative: thoughts on contemporary Chinese architecture; Play, dream, and the search for the 'real' form of dwelling: from Aalto to Ando; Wittgenstein's Stonborough House and the architecture of Tadao Ando; Cardboard houses with wings: the architecture of Alabama's Rural Studio; H-Sang Seung: design is not design; The secularization of the architectural heritage through Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia; Conclusion; Bibliography; Index.
- Author BiographyThorsten Botz-Bornstein was born in Germany and studied philosophy in Paris and Oxford. As a postdoctoral researcher based in Finland he undertook extenA-sive research on Russian formalism and semiotics in Russia and the Baltic countries. He has also been researching in Japan, in particular on the Kyoto School and on the philosophy of Nishida KitarA'. At present he is Associate Professor of Philosophy at the Gulf University for Science and Technology in Kuwait. His publications are: Place and Dream: Japan and the Virtual (Rodopi, 2004); Films and Dreams: Tarkovsky, Sokurov, Bergman, Kubrik, Wong Kar-wai (Lexington Books 2007); La Chine contre l'Amerique. Culture sans civilisation contre civilisation sans culture? (Paris: L'Harmattan 2012); Vasily Sesemann: Experience, Formalism and the Question of Being (Rodopi 2006); Aesthetics and Politics of Space in Russia and Japan (Lexington Books 2009); The Cool-Kawaii: Afro-Japanese Aesthetics and New World Modernity (Lexington 2010); The Veil in Kuwait: Gender, Fashion, Identity (with Noreen Abdullah-Khan, Palgrave 2014); Editor of: The Philosophy of Viagra: Bioethical Responses to the Viagrification of the Modern World (Rodopi, 2011); Inception and Philosophy: Ideas to Die For (Chicago: Open Court, 2011). Re-ethnicizing the Minds? Tendencies of Cultural Revival in Contemporary Philosophy (Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2006). The Crisis of the Human Sciences: False Objectivity and the Decline of Creativity (2010) Nature Culture, Memes (2008).
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.