All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Moby-Dick , Ishmael declares, 'Be it known that, waiving all argument, I take the good old fashioned ground that a whale is a fish, and call upon holy Jonah to back me'. This book recovers the story of Maurice versus Judd, an 1818 trial that pitted the new sciences of taxonomy against the biblically sanctioned-view that the whale was a fish.
- Author BiographyD. Graham Burnett is associate professor of history at Princeton University and an editor at Cabinet magazine. His books include Masters of All They Surveyed and A Trial by Jury .
- Author(s)D. Graham Burnett
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication04/01/2010
- GenreScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note16 color plates. 19 halftones.
- Weight428 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £10.20Trending at £10.93
- £4.55Trending at £4.80
- £25.99Trending at £30.88
- £22.57Trending at £23.30
- £10.14Trending at £10.51
- £3.60Trending at £6.28
- £6.29Trending at £10.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.