Best-selling in General & Literary Fiction
Save on General & Literary Fiction
- £4.57Trending at £4.80
- £5.96Trending at £6.29
- £4.66Trending at £4.76
- £4.66Trending at £5.38
- £4.77Trending at £4.95
- £7.96Trending at £8.93
- £4.69Trending at £4.83
About this product
- DescriptionThe gilt-lettered advertisement outside Madame Brulot's pension in the shabby rue d'Armaille promises a first-class family boarding house and modern conveniences . One thing is certain: few emerge from their stay at the Villa des Roses unscathed.
- Author BiographyWillem Elsschot (1882 - 1960) was the pseudonym of Alfons de Ridder, head of a successful advertising agency who, unbeknownst to his family, was a hugely successful novelist in his spare time. Cheese, his breakthrough novel, was first published in Dutch in 1933 and is also published by Granta. Paul Vincent taught Dutch language and literature for many years at London University before becoming a full-time translator in 1989. He has translated various Dutch prose writers, including Harry Mulisch, Margriet de Moor, J. Bernlef and H. M. van den Brink.
- Author(s)Willem Elsschot
- PublisherGranta Books
- Date of Publication01/07/2003
- GenreGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGranta Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight166 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Translated byPaul Vincent
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.