All listings for this product
Save on Adult Learning & University
- £16.49Trending at £21.12
- £9.10Trending at £10.99
- £24.21Trending at £25.37
- £14.15Trending at £22.06
- £10.89Trending at £12.30
- £27.75Trending at £47.99
- £10.46Trending at £14.18
About this product
- Author(s)Arthur Marwick
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication01/01/1974
- GenreSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight356 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Table Of ContentsPreface.- PART 1: THE NATURE OF THE PROBLEM The Disasters of War.- The Causes of War.- The Consequences of War.- Germany, Russia, France, Britain and the United States.- PART 2: THE FIRST WORLD WAR: GERMANY AND RUSSIA The Stages of the War.- Germany's 'Fortress Truce', August 1914-November 1917.- Russia: Disruption of War and Growth of 'Voluntary Organizations', August 1914-March 1917.- Revolutions in Russia and Germany, 1917-19.- PART 3: THE FIRST WORLD WAR: FRANCE, BRITAIN AND THE UNITED STATES Destruction and Disruption.- The Test of War.- Participation.- Psychological Implications.- General Consequences of the War.- PART 4: THE SECOND WORLD WAR: GERMANY AND RUSSIA Totalitarianism and Democracy on the Eve of the War.- The War and German Society.- Russia and 'The Great Patriotic War'.- The Aftermath of War.- PART 5: THE SECOND WORLD WAR: BRITAIN AND THE UNITED STATES The Impact of the Second World War on British Society.- The War and American Society.- New Relationships.- PART 6: THE SECOND WORLD WAR: FRANCE The Chagrin and the Pity of it.- Social Consequences.- Beauty and the Beast: Economic Recovery and the Idea of a United Europe.- PART 7: PROBLEMS AND CONCLUSIONS Notes on the use of Archive Film Material.- Annotated Bibliography.- Index.
- Author BiographyARTHUR MARWICK is Professor of History at The Open University; he previously taught at the universities of Edinburgh and Aberdeen and at the State University of New York at Buffalo. His present book advances the important contribution to the study of the social effects of modern war initiated by The Deluge: British Society and th First World War (1965; Macmillan Student Editions, 1973) and continued by Britain in the Century of Total War (1968). His pioneering work in this field has received high praise. His other publications include The Explosion of British Society 1914-1970 (1963; Macmillan Student Editions, 1971) and The Nature of History, an Open University Set Book (1970; Macmillan Student Editions, 1970).
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.